Niantic recently added a new mission system, known as Research Tasks, into Pokémon Go, giving trainers an alternative way to capture legendary Pokémon in-game.
One Pokémon, however, is exclusive to Pokémon Go's new mission system. The Kanto Mythical Pokémon, Mew, can only be captured after completing a set amount of story-driven missions in-game.
The road to catching Mew isn't easy, but for those trainers who have the patience and willpower to get through every challenge, one of the strongest Pokémon in the game will be waiting for you at the end.
In order to unlock the chance to capture Mew, players will need to complete eight special quests in order. Once you've completed all of them, the Mythical Pokémon will appear.
Here are the missions that you'll need to complete in order to catch Mew.
- Tier one: Spin five Pokéstops, catch 10 Pokémon, and transfer five Pokémon.
- Tier two: Get two candies walking with your buddy, make 10 great throws, and hatch three eggs.
- Tier three: Reach level 15, battle in a gym two times, and battle in two raids.
- Tier four: Earn a Silver Kanto Medal, evolve 20 Pokémon, and get five candies while walking with your buddy.
- Tier five: Catch Ditto, make 20 great throws, and catch 10 Ghost-type Pokémon.
- Tier six: Reach level 25, battle in 10 raids, and evolve a Magikarp.
- Tier seven: Catch 50 Pokémon using a berry, make one excellent curve throw, and earn a Gold Kanto Medal.
- Tier eight: Catch Mew.
The further you go, the more difficult the challenges become. Catching Ditto will take more luck than skill as the Pokemon could be hiding as anything, while evolving a Magikarp requires 400 candies, which could take weeks, or even months, to get.
When trying to capture Mew, remember to use Golden Razz Berries to increase your chance of a successful capture and stock up on as many Pokéballs as you can before going into the event. You don't want to be unprepared and risk losing this once-in-a-lifetime chance.