Destiny 2 Hunter Class Overview
When it comes down to it, the Hunter is Destiny 2’s most popular class. It dishes out an offensive attack, while still being able to use speed to get in and out of the dangerous situations. Destiny 2 introduces Guardians to the Arcstrider subclass, which replaces the Bladedancer class and adds an interesting dynamic to those who enjoy being Hunters.
The Gunslinger subclass from Destiny makes a return, and it’s just like you remember. It revolves around the Solar element, while Arcstrider, just like its name suggests, is an Arc element class.
Finally, the Nightstalker subclass gives you heavy crowd control abilities and Void powers, which are great for taking on large mobs of enemies.
The Hunter subclasses are presented with a choice of three different types of grenades. The choices are as follows:
- Swarm Grenade – A grenade that detonates on impact, releasing multiple drones that seek nearby enemies
- Tripmine Grenade – An explosive grenade that sticks to surfaces and detonates upon enemies who pass through its laser trigger
- Incendiary Grenade – A grenade whose explosion catches enemies on fire
- Arcbolt Grenade – A grenade that chains bolts of lightning to nearby enemies
- Flux Grenade – An explosive grenade that deals additional damage when attached to enemies
- Skip Grenade – A grenade that splits upon impact, creating multiple projectiles that seek enemies
- Vortex Grenade – A grenade that creates a vortex which continually damages enemies trapped inside
- Spike Grenade – A grenade that attaches to any surface and emits a torrent of damaging Void Light
- Voidwall Grenade – A grenade that creates a horizontal wall of burning Void Light
The Hunter is notorious for its jumping abilities, leaving the player to choose from the following in both classes:
- High Jump – Jump a second time to reach greater heights
- Strafe Jump – Jump a second time with strong directional control
- Triple Jump – Sustain your air control with a second or third jump
The art of jumping remains the same as it did in Destiny, and is one of the staples of this class and is worth mastering. After all, you never know when you’ll have to navigate a jumping puzzle.
Class abilities are new to Destiny 2, and each class shares a set of two that add a new defensive depth to the Hunter:
- Marksman’s Dodge – Dodge to perform an evasive maneuver with a steady hand. Dodging automatically reloads your weapon
- Gambler’s Dodge – Dodge to perform a deft tumble, avoiding enemy attacks. Dodging near enemies fully recharges your Melee Ability
Supers are the main aspect of the classes and play a big part in what and how we play the different Guardians. The new Arcstrider class is very reminiscent of Destiny’s Blade Dancer. Instead of wielding Arc knives, you get to wield an Arc Staff. You will notice, however, that you don’t swing as fast as you previously did. The Arc Staff can send out a wave of Arc energy to clear out a wave of enemies.
The Gunslinger’s Golden Gun makes a return to Destiny 2 with a few changes to it. Normally, you would only get three shots, but if you’re quick enough you can pull off six shots with the Golden Gun. You will be able to make your enemies explode after shooting them just like before.
The Voidwalker’s Shadowshot ability fires an arrow of Void Light that forms a Void Anchor wherever it lands. Tendrils of Light will tether nearby enemies, weakening and suppressing them for you and your allies. This can trap a huge amount of enemies, or decimate an enemy team in the Crucible.
Each Super ability has a perk tree which you can unlock with Upgrade Points, and comes packed with extra punches to take anything down. The perk trees for Gunslinger Hunters are called Way of the Outlaw and Way of the Sharpshooter. These perks are all about getting those precision kills to deal maximum damage.
Way of the Outlaw:
- Deadshot – Significantly improves your ability to hit with Golden Gun
- Chains of Woe -Precision kills increase weapon reload speed for you and nearby allies
- Explosive Knife – Throw a knife from a distance that explodes shortly after impact
- Six-Shooter – Golden Gun can be fired quickly up to 6 times, but has a shorter duration
Way of the Sharpshooter:
- Knife Juggler – Throw a knife from a distance. Precision knife kills with this melee ability immediately recharge it
- Practice Makes Perfect – Enter a trance with each precision hit reducing the cooldown of your Super
- Crowd-Pleaser – Enables precision damage with Golden Gun. Precision hits with Golden Gun generate Orbs of Light
- Line ‘Em Up – Precision hits with Golden Gun increase its damage and extend its duration
The Arcstrider Hunter has two perk trees as well, the Way of the Warrior and the Way of the Wing. These perks are all about getting up close and personal with your melee ability.
Way of the Warrior:
- Deadly Reach – Dodging increases your melee range, allowing you to lunge further to strike enemies
- Combat Flow – Melee kills recharge your dodge ability
- Combination Blow – Kill an enemy with the melee ability to trigger health regeneration and increase your melee damage temporarily
- Lethal Current – After dodging, each Arc Staff hit creates a damaging lightning aftershock
Way of the Wing:
- Disorienting Blow – Strike an enemy with this melee ability to disorient the target and nearby enemies
- Focused Breath – Sprinting recharges your dodge ability and provides increased maximum sprint speed
- Combat Mediation – While critically wounded, melee and grenades recharge drastically faster
- Lightning Reflexes – You are harder to kill while dodging
The Voidwalker subclass has two perk trees, Way of the Trapper and Way Of The Pathfinder. Both trees subtly change your class and benefit different styles of play.
Way of the Trapper:
- Keen Scout – Sprint and Sneak faster, and gain an enhanced Tracker. Tethered enemies are marked for easy tracking
- Deadfall – The Void Anchors fired from Shadowshot become traps and wait for prey. Void Anchors have increased range and last longer
- Snare Bomb – Throw a Smoke Bomb from a distance with this melee ability. The Smoke Bomb sticks to the surface it lands on and detonates when enemies are near, slowing and disorienting them
- Vanishing Step – Dodging makes you vanish from sight for a short time
Way of the Pathfinder:
- Lockdown – Grenade effects last twice as long, allowing for strong territorial control and increased damage potential
- Vanish in Smoke – Throw a Smoke Bomb from a distance with this melee ability. The Smoke Bomb creates a smoke cloud that makes you and nearby allies invisible
- Moebius Quiver – Fire Shadowshot multiple times, in rapid succession. Shadowshot deals massive damage against tethered enemies
- Heart of the Pack – Killing tethered enemies creates Orbs of Light, and increase mobility, recovery and resilience for you and nearby allies
The Hunter class continues to be one of the fastest and deadliest classes. The Gunslinger subclass offers a lot of offensive abilities and perks that will quickly dispose enemies. The Arcstrider subclass offers the best balance of offense and defensive perks and abilities to get you out of the stickiest of situations.
For further info on the other classes in Destiny 2, be sure to visit our Destiny 2 Guide Hub.