One of the newest features included in Destiny: The Taken King is the sword. You will get your sword by completing the quest “A Sword Reforging”: in order to obtain this quest, you must follow some few steps that we are going to highlight in the following lines. Take a look at our guide about how to get your exotic sword, then, you will thank us later.
Obtaining this quest requires you to complete the main The Taken King quest line and unlock the Patrol mode for the Dreadnaught (by completing the “Dread Patrol” mission).
The quest articulates in three parts you can complete by following these steps:
Part 1: A Broken Will
- Step 1 – Head to the Tower and talk to Eris. She will give you the quest ‘A Broken Will’.
- Step 2 – Speak to Lord Shaxx, The Crucible guy
- Step 3 – Obtain 25 Hadium Flakes and 10 Motes of Light
- Hadium Flakes are found in loot chests on Dreadnaught Patrol
- You can get a large number of Hadium Flakes in a package from ranking up Eris Morn.
- Step 4 – Speak to Shaxx and hand him the materials.
- Step 5 / Part 1 Complete – Choose which elemental blade you want as your reward
You will need 25 of Relic Iron, Spinmetal or Helium Filaments, depending on which blade you choose. The element type you choose, is the element type of the exotic you will get. You now have your first Legendary sword!
Part 2: A Sword Reforged
To start Part 2, you need to have your legendary sword fully upgraded. You also need to infuse it up to 280 attack, where it unlocks a 5th perk
- Step 1 – Speak to Shaxx
- Step 2 – Kill 50 Majors and 25 enemies in the Crucible
Works on any majors, even the hive on Earth patrol. I’d suggest a strike with lots of Majors. Killing 25 enemies in Crucible with a sword is a lot harder than it sounds.
- Step 3 – Kill Ecthar, Sword of Oryx on Dreadnaught Patrol.
Head to ‘The Founts’ area in Dreadnaught Patrol. (Go through the Cabal ship and then furthest exit on the left). Drop down the first hole in the ground and circle round until you find the entrance to the middle room. Head to the back of this room and you will see 3 Warden knights with different elemental shields, weaken them.
Kill all 3 Warden Knights with 1 Super. Golden Gun, Sunbreaker, Shocklock etc. The massive door will open, allowing you through to the Asylum. Kill all the enemies until Ecthar runs at you. His shield can only be damaged by your sword.
- Step 4 – Speak to Shaxx / Quest Complete.
Part 3: A Sword Reforged (Exotic)
- Step 1 – Speak to Shaxx
- Step 2 – Gather 10 ‘Rare’ materials and practice your relevant elemental abilities.
The materials you have to farm depend on the elemental damage you chose. (Helium filaments for Solar). Farm the desired resource on the desired planet Patrol. Rare material drop rate seems to be between 5% and 10%. Drop is consistently 1/10 – 1/15 harvests for me.
Have fun harvesting at least 100 materials, ugh. Unless it’s completely random and I’m unlucky.
For Ability kills, best bet is to camp Dark Beyond for 30 minutes throwing grenades. Voidfang Vestments.
- Step 3 – Speak to Lord Shaxx
- Step 4 – Wait for the next Armsday delivery (every Wednesday)