Dishonored 2, the much-awaited sequel to 2012’s Dishonored game from Arkane Studios, is finally available on retail shelves worldwide (in most region the game will unlock at November
11). The game is available for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Players who have got early access to the game are reporting some nasty performance and other issues such as Low FPS,
horrible performance on low spec CPU, Mouse sensitivity, and many other. In this Dishonored 2 PC Error guide, we provide a fix for most of the issues, bugs and glitches. So without any further ado let’s get started.
Fix For All Dishonored PC Error:
1: PC System Requirements – Dishonored 2
Below is the PC system requirements for Dishonored 2, both minimum and recommended. Check it out and match it with the configuration of your rig. To run the game smoothly, you need to have a PC with minimum (or higher specs):
- OS: Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit versions)
- Processor: Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB or better
- Storage: 60 GB available space
- OS: Windows 10 (64-bit versions)
- Processor: Intel Core i7-4770/AMD FX-8350 or better
- Memory: 16 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB/AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB or better
- Storage: 60 GB available space
2: Download Dishonored 2 Game Ready Driver From AMD and Nvidia
Dishonored 2 game ready driver is available now. Make sure you download and install it before starting the game. Download links are provided below.
3: Low FPS Fix for Nvidia and AMD Cards:
According to a report from Dishonored 2 early players, Arkane Studios failed to optimize the game properly and a result FPS performance is not up to the mark. Thankfully, a small trick has been discovered which drastically improves Dishonored 2 FPS performance on Nvidia cards. Reddit user Snundae reports:
“After using the Nvidia control panel to change the program-specific settings for Dishonored 2, and changing the maximum pre-rendered frames to 1, my FPS is now a constant 60-150FPS”
Many of you might not be aware of the steps to access this “maximum pre-rendered frames” setting. Follow the steps provided below:
- Step 1: Go to Nvidia Control Panel
- Step 2: Then to Manage 3D Settings
- Step 3: Then to Program Settings
- Step 4: Select Dishonored 2
- Step 5: Select Maximum Pre-rendered Frames
This trick makes the game run smooth even on the roof top parts of Dunwall at a high graphics setting. I used the term “TRICK” to describe this workaround because this was applicable in the Battlefield 1 and Arma 2. This trick reduces CPU load.
Additional setting changes (try these additional changes also along with pre-rendered frames if above thing does not work):
Set Power management mode to prefer maximum power. If you are using Vsync then use Adaptive Vsync and switch off the in-game Vsync. Also, make sure Dishonored 2 is running in the fullscreen mode for this to work. Also, We recommend you to switch off HBAO+ in game setting.
AMD Card users:
Nvidia’s pre-rendered frames option equals to the “Flip Queue Size” in AMD. But before accessing it and making changes, you
This is what AMD users have to change:
- Step 1: Download RadeonPro and open it
- Step 2: Go to Advanced Tab
- Step 3: Under Advanced tab there is a option called “Flip Queue Size”. This is the AMD’s version of pre-rendered frames, make necessary changes.
Important NOTE: Before making above changes you will need to add Dishonored 2 “EXE” file. You will get the game’s EXE file in whichever hard drive you installed the game. Mostly the directory will be:
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dishonored2”
Also, you will not get access to EXE file if the game isn’t unlocked for you yet (the official release date is November 11). You have to wait until game unpacks itself.
Main Cause of Dishonored 2 FPS Issue:
The “Dishonored2.exe” sets itself to low process priority class whenever it loads. Setting it back to normal/above normal after EACH loading screen will provide a workaround. Try doing this until Arkane release a patch and permanently fix the issue. Also, you guys can fix the massive input delay by setting pre-rendered frames to 1.
Also, to boost FPS for players using NVIDIA cards, go to Nvidia Inspector and open up the profile for Dishonored 2, scroll down a bit to find “ENABLE ANSEL” option. You need to set this option to ANSEL_ENABLE_OFF.
Wait there is one more tip: Go into your video card control panel and disable every additional monitor you use.
4: Mouse Sensitivity Smoothing:
For Mouse smoothing in Dishonored 2, players need to edit the config file called “dishonored2Config.cfp”. You will get access to this file in the following directory (the location differs from user to user, you might have installed the Dishonored 2 at some other driver so search accordingly)
C:\Users<Insert_Username>\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\dishonored2\base\dishonored2Config.cfg
- Step 1: Once you have located the Dishonored 2 config file, Open it up with Word or Notepad or Notepad++.
- Step 2: Press CTRL + F, search for term “Smooth”
- Step 3: Change g_mousesmooth option from 1 to 0.
- Step 4: (Very important) Save the changes
- Step 5: Now Right click the .ini file, and make it READ ONLY, and click on Apply option.
If you guys fail to make the file READ ONLY then it automatically goes back to Smoothing. So don’t forget to make the file read only. It is very noticeable when turned off. But it still feels rough.
5: Dishonored 2 Doesn’t Work On Old Low Spec CPU Due To No SSE 4.1 Support
If you are running Dishonored 2 on the low-end CPU such as Core 2 Quad or Phenom then I am sorry to inform you that the game will not run at all. You will be able to install Dishonored 2 but can’t get past the intro logo. The reason behind it that your CPU does not support SSE 4.1. If you own a low spec CPU (very old ones) don’t buy Dishonored 2 because it will not work at all. SSE4.1 is a set of CPU instructions that is not supported by old CPU.
All hope is still not lost, there have been previous similar cases, games such as Metro Redux, MGS V: The Phantom Pain got patched to support low spec old CPU. So there is a possibility that Arkane Studios brings in the support for Dishonored 2. We have not received any words from Arkane Studios on this. You have to make your voice hear, go to the game’s official forum and post this issue.
Please Note: This guide is still work in progress. If you guys are aware of any of the Dishonored 2 Error fix then do let us know in the comment section below.
6: Weird Alt+Tab Key Trick To Improve FPS
A weird but working workaround has been discovered in Dishonored 2 to improve FPS drastically. What you have to do is
Step 1: Load a quick save or start the game fresh
Step 2: In full screen mode, Alt+Tab out and back into the game.
Surprisingly, the game will run a lot smoother than it was before. Try out this trick and let us know whether it worked for you or not, many players have benefited from this trick.
7: Use Reshade to sharpen Dishonored 2
In order to make Dishonored 2 more sharp and remove that annoying wash out feel use RESHADE, it sharpen the game on PC. This is how use Reshade.
- Step 1: Install Reshade on Dishonored 2
- Step 2: Select a sharpening option you like (for exemple LumaSharp) to remove blur from TXAA
Take a look at the screenshot below, this is taken after using Reshade on Dishonored 2 (via Reddit).
Arkane and Bethesda have admitted that Dishonored 2 on PC is not very well optimized and they are very well aware of most of the launch issues. What players can make out from the admission of Bethesda and Arkane? A new patch for the game is already in development. Should players stop playing the game until the patch arrive? No, here is a few recommendations from Bethesda and Arkane to improve Dishonored 2 performance on PC.
1: Check your system settings:
Step 1: Check to ensure that your machine meets the game’s minimum requirements and that you are not running any other programs in the background. If your system is on the lower end of the spectrum avoid setting presets to High / Very High / Ultra which will decrease your performance.
Step 2: If your PC meets the Recommended Specs we encourage you to play with High settings for a more consistent 60fps experience. Only PCs that far exceed those Recommended Specs should opt for Ultra settings.
2: Update Your Windows OS:
Dishonored 2 was tested against the latest updates for Windows 7/8/10. Please check your system to ensure you have the latest Windows updates for your OS version. Please visit our support page for more information on how to update Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq
Dishonored 2 was tested against the latest update for DirectX – please check your system to ensure you have the latest version of Direct X. Please visit the following support page for the latest version of DirectX http://-https//support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/179113
4: Dishonored 2: 10 Tips For Getting Best Performance on PC
- Avoid using Alt-Tab when playing. Relaunch the game if you see performance dropping after using Alt-Tab.
- Avoid having background applications running in addition to the game.
- If you have performance issues, try lowering the resolution.
- Use 1440p resolution only if you have a very high-end GPU ( GTX 1070/1080 or equivalent)
- Keep the V-Sync activated, especially if you have large framerate fluctuations.
- If you have framerate under 30 fps, adjust the “Adaptive Resolution” between minimum (50%) and default value (75%).
- Use the “Auto” presets: this should adjust your visual settings without impacting your framerate.
- If you still have performance issues with “Auto” presets:
- Try deactivating the “TXAA Anti-Aliasing”
- Try lowering the texture details