You will need to do a system software update either when you have just bought a new Ps4 system or when you want to replace your hard disk drive. If you are about to perform the update due to some issue, backup your data as the initializing process or system software update of PS4 will delete all the data.
This procedure requires atleast 900MB of free space, a USB storage device and a computer will internet.
Follow these steps to update system software on PlayStation 4:
- Create a folder named “PS4”, inside that create another folder named “UPDATE”, on your USB storage device using your computer to save update files.
- Click “Download Now” to download the update file
- Save the update file in the “UPDATE” folder as “PS4UPDATE.PUP”
- Power off your PS4 completely
- Connect the USB containing the update file
- Now touch and hold the power button till you hear the second beep. This takes upto 7 seconds and start your system in the safe mode. Here is a guide to start PlayStation 4 in Safe Mode.
- Select “Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software)” and follow the steps from your console screen
If you face any problem make sure that the file and folder names are correctly spelt and only the required file is present in the USB drive.