There are 6 Combat Skills in Middle-earth: Shadow of War and a total of 17 upgrades. You can make out from the name itself that the Skills in the Combat Skills tree is going to focus on the Melee attacks and the fighting skills of the players against the enemies. Don’t underestimate the importance of the Upgrades – they are important as well because of the boost they provide to the basic working on each Skill So don’t take anything lightly here.
All Combat Skills And How To Unlock Them
1: Execution Skill
The Execution Skill helps you to aim at the enemy and execute the skill instantly when the Might is full. You can perform the Execution skill by pressing Triangle + Circle on PS4 and B + Y on Xbox One. With the Help of Execution Skill Ability, you will be able to take the Weaker enemies down in a single shot.
Upgrades For Execution Skill – What you need to take note here is that only one Upgrade from the following can be active at a time.
Upgrade 1: Grim Resolve
- How to use it – This upgrade lets you make an escape from a tough situation by letting you gain some Might for the damage you take.
Upgrade 2: Secret Might
- How to use it – Allows you to gain Might, when you attack undetected (stealth mode). Note that it is available only after level 7.
Upgrade 3: Fatal Might
- How to use it – Helps in increasing the Might, when you make constant combo attacks with the sword, damaging and killing the enemies. Make a note that it’s available only after level 11.
2: Perfect Counter Skill
This is the perfect ground finisher skill, knocking down the enemies. Perfect Counter Skill appears on the screen while making a counter attack, by flashing blue and asking the player to press Triangle for PS4 and Y for Xbox One. Perfect Counter Skill can also help in building up Might.
Upgrades for Perfect Counter Skill – What you need to take note here is that only one Upgrade from the following can be active at a time.
Upgrade 1: Rain of Arrows
- How to Use it – A perfectly timed counter with the blue flash on the enemy will let you make one Elf Shot.
Upgrade 2: Mighty Reversal
- How to Use it – With the help of this upgrade, you can have might with each counter you make. It is only available after Level 10.
Upgrade 3: Fatal Counter
- How to Use it – The best upgrade in its class, as with this you can kill the low-level grunts with just one Counter, but the only drawback is that it is only available for level 15 and up.
3 – Critical Strike Skill
This Skill helps you to make your favorite melee attack as a critical one while boosting the damage amount. Critical Strike Skill upgrade mention below increases the chances of you making a critical Strike.
Upgrades for Critical Strike Skill – What you need to take note here is that only one Upgrade from the following can be active at a time.
Upgrade 1: Reprisal
- How to Use it – This upgrade will let you make a critical hit on the enemy when your health goes too low. Note that it can be available after level 7.
Upgrade 2: Unstoppable
- How to Use it – With this upgrade, you can have a higher chance of making a Critical Strike, when you have a combat streak of 25 above. Note this upgrade is been available after level 13.
Upgrade 3: Elven Precision
- How to Use it – This upgrade is a good one but comes with the timing bounds, as you will have to hit the strike button like Square for PS4 and X for Xbox One when it prompts to while landing your strike, as this will have a high chance of hitting the enemy with a Critical Strike with high damage. Note it is available after level 19.
4 – Ground Finisher Skill
When the enemies health is low and lying on the floor weak, you can press R2 + Cross on PS4 (Right Trigger + X on Xbox One) to act a Ground Execution on the enemy with less amount of time, letting you have more time for the rest of the enemies.
Upgrades for Ground Finisher Skill – What you need to take note here is that only one Upgrade from the following can be active at a time.
Upgrade 1: Ground Drain
- How to Use It – This skill will let you Drain all the life from the knocked down enemies and restore your own. This skill is very useful but can only be acquired after level 23.
Upgrade 2: Wraith Shield
- How to Use It – This skill will let you Counter the incoming enemies, even when you are finishing a Ground Execution. Note it is available after Level 16.
Upgrade 3: Fury
- How to Use It – You can execute the Ground Execution at a more faster rate of speed and gain Might at every Hit. Note it will be available from level 9.
5 – Brutal Aggression Skill
This skill lets your Might to be charged double and makes a brutal attack on the enemy. This attack is so deadly that the nearby enemies get scared and drop everything.
Upgrades for Brutal Aggression Skill – What you need to take note here is that only one Upgrade from the following can be active at a time.
Upgrade 1: Wraith Execution
- How to Use it – This upgrade allows you to apply the same attack in a chain format to multiple enemies, affecting your Focus. It can be triggered by pressing Square on PS4 and X on Xbox One. it is available from level 11.
Upgrade 2: Ceaseless Might
- How to Use it – With this skill, you can perform those skills that eat up all the Might, for a small amount of Might. This skill is available after, level 19.
6: Retaliation Skill
Retaliation Skill is one of those skills which let you help in the “Last Stand” moments. With this skill, you can kill the Grunt-Level enemy at the Perfectly timed last chance attack. Note that this skill is not applicable on Captains, Graugs or Drakes.
Upgrades for Retaliation Skill (Child Tree) – What you need to take note here is that only one Upgrade from the following can be active at a time.
Upgrade 1: Adamant
- How to Use It – This skill Upgrade lets you have a Second, Last Chance attempt to kill the Enemy. Note it is available after, level 13.
Upgrade 2: Vengeful Drain
- How to Use It – With this Upgrade, you can quickly drain the Attacking enemies, by doing a well-timed Last Chance. Note this is available from level 22.
Upgrade 3: Burst of Might
- How to Use It – This upgrade will help to Fill Might in an Instance when the last chance is been triggered perfectly.
That’s all for this Shadow Of War Combat Skill Tree Guide. Stay tuned for more updates on the rest of the skill tree and till then do refer to our other guide on All Shelob Memories And Where To Find Them.