Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Fire and 3D Technology detailed
Sony just a while ago has revealed the details about the new technology that will feature in Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. The details was revealed by the publisher in a press release, which clearly points out that Naughty Dog is going to set the boundaries once again with Playstation 3 hardware. Uncharted 3 is being developed from the scratch to support the use of stereoscopic 3D.
Here is the details:
- 3D support planned from outset of development.
- Built from the ground-up and fully integrated into Naughty Dog Engine 3.0.
- Optimisations and technology developed for 3D support have benefited the 2D version.
- Precise aiming, especially around corners, aided through 3D support.
- Judging depth during traversal sequences aided through 3D support.
- Player experience from the cinematic presentation during set piece moments enhanced (e.g. increased sense of vertigo, etc).
- Particle system has been overhauled to allow the increase in number of effects and overdraw required for fire.
- Simulation combined with intricate hand crafting used to create the feeling of being trapped in an inferno.
- Fire actually affects the environment, changing traversal opportunities and creating and removing cover in combat situations.
- Several additional animation layers for Drake, Sully, and enemies to ground them in the environment and what is happening around them.
- Dozens of contextual animations for Drake stepping in, standing near, and taking cover by fire.