Bungie Announces Expansion and Season Access Update
After the release of the Destiny 2 DLC Curse of Osiris, the power level in the game was raised, and along with it the requirement to start several activities. The Prestige mode version of the Leviathan raid for example now required a power level of at least 330. It didn’t take long for gamers who did not purchase the DLC to realize that they no longer had access to this content. Ooops.
Bungie Admits Mistake, Promises Fixes
After the uproar that followed, including several complaints to various consumer protection agencies, Bungie has responded by announcing a few swift steps backwards.
With Curse of Osiris now live, it’s clear that we’ve made some mistakes with how we have handled content access. We would like to talk through the reasoning behind our decisions so far and what we are committed to changing moving forward. […] To make matters worse, our team overlooked the fact that both of these mistakes disabled Trophies and Achievements for Destiny 2. This was an unacceptable lapse on our part, and we can understand the frustration it has created.
In order to address these mistakes and accommodate gamers, regardless of Curse of Osiris ownership, the following changes will be made:
- The Prestige Leviathan Raid will be brought back down to Power 300, and its rewards will drop down to match the new Power Level. All players will regain access to the Prestige Raid.
- This will allow access to “The Prestige” Achievement/Trophy for all players.
- This will also allow all players ability to complete the final step for the Legend of Acrius Exotic Shotgun.
- Trials of The Nine will only require Curse of Osiris when it features a Curse of Osiris map. For all other weeks, it will be available to all players.
- This will allow access to “Lest Ye Be Judged” Achievement/Trophy for all players.
- Trials of The Nine rewards that launched with Destiny 2 will still be accessible to all players.
- New Seasonal Rewards that launched with Curse of Osiris, such as the new Seasonal Armor Ornaments, will require ownership of Curse of Osiris to acquire.
- The Prestige Nightfall will remain a pinnacle activity, at the new 330 Power cap.
- This means Prestige Nightfall will require ownership of Curse of Osiris.
- Because of this, we will update “The Prestige” Achievement/Trophy to only reference The Prestige Raid.
- Moving forward, we are investigating adding a 3rd difficulty to all Prestige activities, so that we can provide both a challenge that stays relevant with each new Expansion, and a Prestige version that is available to all players.
- Normal Nightfall will only require Curse of Osiris when it features a Curse of Osiris map. For all other weeks it will be available to all players.
- Time limited events – Iron Banner, Faction Rally, and The Dawning, will be made available to all players.
- We will be postponing tomorrow’s Faction Rally, to ensure all of our players can access the activity and the appropriate rewards.
- Iron Banner and Faction Rally rewards that launched with Destiny 2 will still be accessible to all players.
- New Seasonal Rewards that launch with Curse of Osiris, such as the new Seasonal Armor Ornaments, will require ownership of Curse of Osiris to acquire.
The changes will be included as part of the large update that will be deployed tomorrow during 7AM PST and 2PM PST. For the full list of the announcement, read their official blog post.
Destiny 2 will be brought offline on Tuesday (12/12) for server maintenance in preparation for Update 184.108.40.206.
Expected duration is 7 AM PST to 2 PM PST: https://t.co/Ocy0lEVMfq
— Bungie Help (@BungieHelp) December 11, 2017
Personally, I feel like these changes should appease most players who had a valid concern. I do, however, find it interesting that the Prestige Nightfall won’t be changed. It does make sense that the content and its difficulty level must keep moving forward. At least the changes should allow everyone to obtain all trophies and achievements that were included with the game they purchased.
How do you feel? Does this address your concerns, if you had any? Let us know in the comments!