Dead in Vinland Arrives on North American Shores Today
To be fair, Dead in Vinland arrives on all shores around the world today, including countries that have no shores at all. However, North American shores do play a special role in CCCP’s latest indie development effort, as the player will take on the role of managing a family’s survival on unknown distant shores. Being from Canada myself, and considering historical evidence, I’ll assume that those shores are Canadian.
Dead in Vinland
Dead in Vinland is described as a “survival/management indie game with RPG and adventure elements” and involves managing Eirik’s family’s needs in a turn-based style of environment. His family have traveled to far-away distant lands and will need to be fed, protected, organized, and grown around their new home.
The game’s art style is reminiscent of a personal favorite, The Banner Saga, and includes 14 playable characters, a base camp that you can build up and customize, and over 150 areas of land to explore. Of course, there will be dangers, including diseases, other human inhabitants, and esoteric mysteries of Vinland. Depending on how you manage your family’s survival over some 70 quests, you will see different outcomes for your charges. No doubt, there will be difficult decisions to be made along the way.
- Deep survival management simulation: find and gather resources, secure a supply of food, take care of the mental and physical health of your characters, and more.
- Adjustable difficulty: 3 modes of difficulty, ranging from a story mode, to normal, and insane.
- Build your camp: expand your shelter with 18 activity stations, each one with its own mechanics. Craft more than 130 upgrades and dozens of items to give you precious bonuses.
- Manage a community: 14 playable characters, each one with their own strengths, flaws and stories.
- Explore the island: 150 areas to discover with hundreds of objects to interact with.
- Live your own adventure: complete 70 non-linear quests to reach the end of the game.
- Full RPG system: 5 health states to care for, 20 skills to develop, more than 600 character traits, 100 items to collect, 30 diseases and 20 wounds to die from.
- Turn-based tactical combat: quick and deadly 3 vs 3 battles against Björn’s minions. 5 unique playable character classes, each with its own set of fighting skills, and 5 passive classes.
Dead in Vinland is the spiritual successor of Dead in Bermuda but focuses more on the people management and interactions than its predecessor. It is available as for today for $19.99 on Steam, GoG, and Origin.