Battlefield 3 PS3 beta confirmed, new Co-op details also out
Battlefield 3 developer DICE has the mechanics of game's co-op mode, and also confirmed that there will be an open beta for all PS3 gamers.
On official PS Blog, DICE product manager Tommy Rydling said, "The missions in the co-op campaign are for the most part asymmetric,"
"This means that one mission can have you piloting a helicopter while your friend is the gunner, for example. Other situations have one player disarming a bomb and the other one defending him."
Tommy also referred firm's Gamecom Co-op demo that showed the power of clean, tandem kills and other tactics.
"There are also other mechanics requiring teamwork, such as spotting enemies to make large firefights easier, or the essential concept of reviving one another to avoid ending up at the game over screen."
Other details confirmed by Tommy are:
- Players in co-op will take the role of soldiers that are not tied to any one particular branch of the Armed Forces.
- After clearing a co-op mission with your friend, your total combined score will be displayed via Battlelog
- Missions are designed to be shorter than single player missions, so you can easily do multiple rounds to try and beat your friends’ high score.
- Difficulty is 'high'.
- Co-op missions contain randomized elements to keep every playthrough fresh.
- There are a number of weapons that you can unlock in co-op for use in regular multiplayer modes.
- Unlocks are based on your combined scores accumulated throughout the co-op campaign.
- The Battlefield 3 open beta hits PS3 in September