Dead Rising 4 failed to live up to the expectations of Capcom by a large margin and we can make this out of the fact that the game failed to book its place in the Platinum Games List (list of Capcom games that have sold 1 million or more copies are included in this list). According to many critics and analyst, the major reason for this big downfall of Dead Rising 4 is the full-timed exclusivity deal between Microsoft and Capcom.
What does this mean for the future of Dead Rising series, Capcom has kept it in the back-burner for few years or the development work on the next installment in the franchise still continues behind the closed doors at Capcom? If details leaked on 4Chan is to believe, Dead Rising 5 is already in development, and this time around the development work is handled by the entirely different studio as Capcom Vancouver wanted to move on to other projects.
Here is some of the Dead Rising 5 information leaked on the internet:
- Began early production back in late 2015, CV was done with Dead Rising after 3 but Capcom had them shit out DR4 using almost entirely old assets for the ten year anniversary
- Just called ‘Dead Rising’, for now. Not a reboot, but a complete return to form and almost a ‘reset’ of sorts for the franchise.
- Puts you in a college town with three separate sectors, the college, the town, and a mall.
- Takes place 25 years after the original. You play as a photojournalism student named Jack who is infamous for his conspiracy theories that he writes in the college paper. He sees the outbreak as an opportunity to win big and gets “the scoop”.
- VERY similar to the original Dead Rising. The time limit is back, and it is tough. Players will have to give up on certain side quests/pick and choose what to do. 100% in a single playthrough IS possible apparently, but only at higher levels.
- Psychos are back, very similar to the first game. Focused more on normal people who have gone insane rather than flamboyant/sexualized/cartoony villains.
- No characters from previous games appear, however, Frank West is apparently mentioned frequently.
- DR4 is not canon, at least in this game’s timeline. Willamette is referenced heavily as still being gated off after the events of the first game.
- Photography makes a return, as well as the ability to question and interrogate certain characters. This is used in the story but is also used in side missions.
- Survivor escorts are back, but the AI isn’t retarded like the original. Also, they only take up about half of the side missions, the other half goes into investigatory work and lore.
Take the above mention details with a grain of salt and consider it a rumor only. We have yet to hear a word from Capcom about the future of Dead Rising series.