The Euro Truck Simulator 2 game keeps on trucking along. After just recently adding the Italia expansion, SCS Software has now released a long awaited DLC in Special Transport. Following in a long line of low cost additional content, this DLC adds several exciting new features to the game.
Special Transport DLC
Special Transport is not for the casual trucker. The new DLC will challenge the players and let them experience super-sized cargoes with length and width exceeding standard cargo regulations. Fortunately, new game mechanics have been added to make the experience smoother. As in a real life scenario, the routes will be secured by two escort vehicles guiding the driver through the transport job from its start to the place of delivery. The player has to obey the escort vehicles’ advice and carefully watch every inch of the road to deliver the cargo in pristine condition.
Frankly, the escort vehicles are some of the coolest additions that SCS Software have made over the life of Euro Truck Simulator 2. While mods have already added oversized cargoes in the past, dealing with AI traffic has made that an experience of varying degrees of aggravation.
In addition to the escort vehicle system, the following new features are worth mentioning:
- 11 huge cargoes (up to 70 tons, 6 m width, 5+ m height and 20+ m length)
- 4 new special trailers
- A combination of over 80 special transport jobs
- Original intros and cutscenes related to the cargoes, jobs, and places along the routes
- New models, characters, and animations of people assisting or spectating the transport
- New set of warning beacons for the trucks
- Special Transport achievements
- Enhanced AI behavior: clearing the path, stopping traffic, giving advice, pushing opposing vehicles to the side etc.
- Possibility to Fail the given Job on the spot if you do not adhere to strict instructions or regulations
- New checkpoints system to keep the player’s progress in a special transport job safe
For a full list of features, check out the Euro Truck Simulator 2 Special Transport Steam page.
I’ve always been a big fan of SCS Software’s DLC model for this game, and the Special Transport DLC is by far the most easily recommended use of $5 this holiday season. If, however, you’re a bit strapped in the cash department, feel free to enter our giveaway for a Steam key below!