A preview of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim from UK PC Gamer Magazine has revealed some new details about the game. These new details range from changing weather to taking out witnesses to a crime and many more.
Check out the highlights from the preview below:
- Sleeping in a ‘good’ bed gives a bonus to magicka and health.
- He describes how the weather changed from a light snow, to heavy and then a full on blizzard at which point he can barely see where he was going.
- You can get meat from a horse carcass.
- The previewer describes how he equipped a flame spell in his left hand and a lightning spell in the right. The streams are seperate when both are fired but they’re so “thick and chaotic” that it actually looks like 1 big beam of lightning and flame.
- The player finds a shack just as it’s getting dark which have glowing insects flying around it. You can harvest a ‘Sparkfly thorax’ from these little things.
- He has a quick go at alchemy and mixes nightshade and death’s bane to produce a strong poison which he applies to his sword.
- The player describes a situation where he reaches a camp with imperial looking men. As he is attempting to cook the men suddenly run up the hill behind him where they are attacked by a Redguard woman raining arrows down upon them.
- Cooking turns raw stuff into stews for long term effects such as venison stew which steadily regenerates health for 5 minutes. Blacksmithing turns metal ores into weapons/armours but some of these are locked out until you get the right perk.
- Enchanting shrines allow you to add spell effects to any weapon and destroy magical weapons to learn their enchantments.
- You can join the imperial legion (Think I’ve heard this before though)
- Rift guards are a seperate faction from the imperial legion so they ignored the bounty on his head (until he got on a stolen horse right in front of them). At one point the rift guards that are chasing the player bump into the imperial guards who are also chasing him. A war breaks out between them!
- If you kill everyone who saw you commit a crime, you’ll get a message saying there are no surviving witnesses
- Going to prison and serving your sentence doesn’t result in your skills reducing. Instead the progress towards your next point in a few skills will be a reset.
- Player explores the city of Riften which has a river running through it. Cobbled streets with sharp drops to the water below. Below are subterraneon dwellings with their doors almost at water level, connected by wooden piers. Apparently there is a network down there called the ratways where the Theives guild is. Matt Carafano says Riften is a rundown lake down set in a beautiful forest area. Markarth on the other hand is built in an ancient dwarven ruin in cliff sides. Solitude is more like a castle city, Windhelm is like an ancient Nordic fortress and Whiterun is more of the classic Viking feel ‘mountain-style’ in the tundra.
- Chances of successfully pick pocketing depends on the value of the item.
- Player kills a thief and gets ‘Gloves of the Pugilist’ which grants +15 to unarmed attacks. He tests them by knocking off a huge portion of health from his attacker. He then attempts a power attack: “I grab him, he disappears off screen, there’s a sickening crunch and I drop his limp body to the dirty ground”. A finishing move perhaps?
- You can even mix spells with hand-to-hand, eg. lightning in the left, punchy punchy with the right.