Just when we thought the whole EX Raid invite system was going to be scrapped, Niantic decided to change how you will receive an invitation to take part in battling in these Raids in Pokemon GO.
The changes listed below are the ones they are making to EX Raid Battles:
- EX Raid Battles will take place most commonly at Gyms found in parks and sponsored locations.
- Trainers with a high level Gym Badge are more likely to be invited to EX Raid Battles taking place at that Gym.
- Trainers who have completed a larger number of Raid Battles are more likely to be invited to EX Raid Battles.
- EX Raid Battle start times now take into account popular Raid Battle times at that Gym.
- Trainers invited to EX Raid Battles will receive an in-game notification if the EX Raid Battle is canceled.
- Trainers will receive Stardust and Premium Raid Passes when an EX Raid Battle is canceled.
While it seems that some of these changes are for the better, I can’t help but wonder how they determine “popular Raid Battle times”. I’ve seen several instances where EX Raid invites were sent out with a start time on a weekday during normal working hours, making it impossible for some to attend. I’m sure with a little more testing, it will be worked out.
Regular Raid Battles will also be getting a few changes. We have them listed for you below.
- Trainers will now receive Golden Razz Berries for completing Raid Battles.
- The number of Potions and Revives awarded to Trainers for completing a Raid Battle will decrease slightly, but the quality of Potions will increase.
- The likelihood of receiving Fast and Charged Technical Machines for completing a Tier 3 or higher Raid Battle has increased.
- Trainers will now receive Stardust for participating in a Raid Battle, whether they win or lose.
- Magikarp will make a triumphant return to Tier 1 Raid Battles.
The changes made to Raid Battles really seem for the best. They’ve decided to reward Trainers more for participating in them. Giving out more rewards will increase Trainer activity at Raids giving them an increased chance of receiving an EX Raid Pass. While adding Magikarp back to Tier 1 Raids is a nice touch, the current Pokémon in Raids are still in rough shape.
I for one will welcome these changes made to both EX Raid and Raid Battles, but really wish they would do away with the EX Raid invitations all together. An alternative solution they could explore is having weekly or monthly challenges that result in getting an EX Raid Pass. Only time will tell how long these changes stay in effect.