Just recently Sony Japan Senior Vice President Masayasu Ito revealed some techincal details of PS4 such as power consumption, noise level and more, in a recent interview to Japanese Tech website AV Watch.
Well guys here is some more details about PS4 from the mouth of Masayasu Ito via another interview from popular Japanese magazine Famitsu. This time around Masayasu talked about Playstation 4 design process, console new colours, why development team selected USB 3.0 technology and differences with Xbox One.
Complete summary of details from the interview has been posted below for you, take a look:
- Affordability was an important goal when developing the PS4, since even if you make a great hardware, it’s hard to sell if it’s expensive. However, performance had to be high as well. It wasn’t easy to strike a balance between these two factors.
- A number of different designs were considered, but the final design was adopted because it felt “new” but it also shown the DNA of PlayStation, especially from the PS2 era.
- Ito-san pushed for the adoption of USB 3.0 technology. While 2.0 was commonplace while the console was being designed, it was argued that 3.0 will become mainstream after the console’s release.
- The USB 3.0 technology is also indispensable for the PlayStation Camera. While the connector has a special shape, its technology is still USB 3.0. The PlayStation Camera’s resolution could not be achieved with USB 2.0 tech due to lack of bandwidth.
- Playing Full games on the PlayStation App will be difficult (today Shuhei Yoshida actually outright denied that possibility) due to the controls that are significantly different from the DualShock 4.
- The evolution of the DualShock 4 controller is the result of a long trial and error process. It’s been fine-tuned due to the feedback from user tests repeated many times.
- The L2 and R2 buttons received some pretty delicate adjustments to their resistance to pressure due to developer feedback. Their angle was also improved. Materials and shape of the controller were reviewed from scratch to increase the comfort and grip.
- The release of different colors of the DualShock 4 (which will available in blue and red as well as black) was due to a strong request from the marketing department.
- Designers were made aware of the possibility of color variations of the console itself from the beginning, and were first asked to design freely and then narrowed the amount of designs down. They were asked: “I want you to to this assuming color variations”.
- Ito’s impression of the Xbox One is that it tries to be an entertainment device, on the other hand PS4 focuses on games. of course PS4 also does entertainment, as Sony is an Audio/Video company after all.
- CD Playback was not included because the idea is to enjoy a variety of content by connecting to the network, so for music you can enjoy it through Music Unlimited. In addition to that when you take photos and videos you can save them to the cloud and enjoy them from there. The PS4 expresses its true value by connecting to the net.