Some PC players are running into issues on Destiny 2. The game launched on PC yesterday, and since then some players have been banned. They claim that nothing nefarious is being done at their end. In an ideal world only cheaters would be on the wrong end of a ban hammer.
Bungie originally went with a statement about simply not knowing why the bans were happening, but promising updates. The community then decided that the issue was how the game treats third part apps that use overlays. In an effort to cut down on cheating, programs that use overlays cannot be used with the game. Bungie nipped this one in the bud with a statement from Community Manager Cosmo.
Third-party applications that aren’t compatible with Destiny 2 may cause the game to not run but won’t result in a ban.
The project lead of Destiny 2 on PC also replied to a tweet, strongly pointing out that these bans simply weren’t happening.
We do block programs from pushing their code into our game. Most overlays work like that. We don't ban for that tho. That's internet BS.
— Shawctober (@ShockAndShaw) October 25, 2017
Since then, Bungie appear to be doubling down on the idea that players who received bans were up to no good. They released a statement that covers how many people were banned, and why it would have happened.
We have seen lots of questions about bans being issued in the PC version of Destiny 2. To provide some information, we would like to share some facts.The following is true:
- Destiny 2 cannot automatically ban you, only Bungie can ban a player after a manual investigation
- Yesterday, we banned approximately 400 players on PC
- Bans were applied to players who were using tools that pose a threat to the shared ecosystem of the game
- We did not (and will not) issue any bans for the use of overlays or performance tools, including Discord, Xsplit, OBS, RTSS, etc.
- Information on using third-party applications can be found here: https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Article/46101
- We are overturning 4 of the bans that were issued during the PC BetaWe are committed to providing an experience that is fun and fair for the millions of players who have joined us in this community.