At Famitsu Award 2016 General Director Toshihiro Nagoshi confirms that he is working on the new Yakuza Title. Probably after Yakuza 6 that came out in 2016, Yakuza 7 is the new title of this highly anticipated game. At the award show Yakuza 6: The Song of Life won the Excellence Award. In the interview Nagoshi hinted about the next title, he said he is working on the same and it is in the early stage of development.
He also said that it won’t be necessary to simply narrow down the new Yakuza to a single title, there is possibility of multiple coming up. Below are the words by him shared in the interview, as posted by Gematsu.
- As long as Yakuza 6 is labeled “the final chapter of Kazuma Kiryu,” we won’t be saying anything like, “just kidding!”
- One of the keywords is that I want to create a new Yakuza.
- I don’t think it’s necessary to narrow it down to a single title. It may be multiple titles.
- We created the Dragon Engine with Yakuza 6, but the game engine itself will be completed with the development of a second or third title.
- I’m already working on the next title. In the not too distant future… I think there will be an opportunity to talk about the next game’s development in a relatively early stage
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life was out in December 2016 on PS4 in Japan, in 2018 it will be available for US and Europe.