The Hell’s Retriever is one of a few different wonder weapons in the Blood of the Dead Black Ops 4 Zombies map. It’s the first one you want to get in the Blood of the Dead easter egg guide before you even in unlock the Pack A Punch machine on the roof. To get the Blood of the Dead Hell’s Retriever and later on upgrade it to the Hell’s Redeemer, you need to feed some fiery hounds. Here’s precisely how you unlock the Hell’s Retriever in Black Ops 4 Zombies Blood of the Dead.
Where to find and feed the Cerberus
In Blood of the dead, there are three fiery Cerberus heads that come out of the wall. You need to kill zombies nearby to feed them – we don’t know exactly how many, but they will disappear once they’re satiated. So here’s where you can find them.
- [New Industries] Behind a desk in the corner. When you first get here, your character will comment on it.
- [Cell Block 2nd Floor] The second one is on the second floor of the Cell Block, behind some metal railings.
- [Eagle Pass] Head outside and toward Eagle Pass. The final Cerberus head is on the side of the Warden’s Office.
How to get the Blood of the Dead Hell’s Retriever
Once all three Cerberus heads are satisfied, you need to either go into the Warden’s House or to the Showers. These are the two fast travel locations in the map – just make sure you’ve turned on the power first. Activate the fast travel, and as you pass through the fiery caverns, the Hell’s Retriever will be floating above a rock. Pick it up as you pass and voila, you’ve got the Hell’s Retriever. It’s like a lethal boomerang – be aware that it replaces your standard frag grenades though.
How to upgrade to the Blood of the Dead Hell’s Redeemer
Once you’ve got the Hell’s Retriever, you can upgrade it to a more powerful version – the Hell’s Redeemer. You need to build the Spectral Shield – the same shield mentioned in our Pack A Punch guide, so if you haven’t unlocked Pack A Punch yet, make sure you build the shield.
After you’ve got the shield and the Hell’s Retriever, you need to head to one of six locations to find a Spectral Image. When you find it, throw the Hell’s Retriever at it. If you’ve done it right, the wonder weapon will be removed from your inventory temporarily. Here are the six Spectral Image spawn points:
- [Citadel] Look through the cracked wall on the right and it may have spawned there.
- [Citadel] It could also be through the window with the hanging bodies.
- [Eagle Pass] Check above the Warden’s Office entrance, and the image may be on the wall.
- [Eagle Pass] Look for a pipe sticking out of the ground in Eagle Plaza and it could be inside a nearby crack in the floor.
- [Recreation Yard] Head to the bridge in the Recreation Yard and the Spectral Image can spawn on the rocks toward the prison entrance.
- [Recreation Yard] From the catwalk, when you get to the bridge, the image may be on the wall to your right, past the barbed wire.
After you throw the Hell’s Retriever at the image and it disappears from your equipment slot, you need to wait until the next special round when Hell Hounds spawn. During this round, you need to equip the spectral shield and search for a spectral dog. This isn’t easy – the dog spawns near the Warden’s Office, but it can roam around basically anywhere on the map. You can see the spectral paw prints though, so use that to follow the dog and when you find it, shoot it with a blast of the shield. This will cause the Hell’s Redeemer to spawn in the same place the Hell’s Retriever did. Hop in the fast travel system from either the Warden’s Office or the Showers and grab the weapon from atop the rock in the caverns.
Not too difficult to get, all things considered. You need the Hell’s Retriever to complete the main Blood of the Dead easter egg. You can find our guide for that soon at our Black Ops 4 guide hub, along with all of our other Zombies and general game guides.