Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity brings The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild’s past into sharp focus. Set 100 years before Breath of the Wild, during the Great Calamity, the Zelda spinoff will let players try to save Hyrule from destruction by defeating hordes of different enemies.
With the Koei Tecmo-developed title taking place ahead of Breath of the Wild’s story, there is the chance for fans to play as their favorite characters from the Nintendo Switch game. At the time of writing, we know that there will be six playable characters in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. Those six characters all appeared in Breath of the Wild, and there is the opportunity for more to be announced by Nintendo ahead of launch, or patched in post-release.
The six playable characters that will be available to play as at launch are:
- Link – The playable protagonist in every Zelda game
- Zelda – The titular character of the franchise, who is expected to be a playable character in Breath of the Wild’s sequel
- Daruk – Breath of the Wild’s Goron champion, who piloted the Divine Beast Vah Rudania during the Great Calamity
- Mipha – Breath of the Wild’s Zora champion and princess, who was Link’s childhood friend
- Revali – Breath of the Wild’s Rito champion, who can fire arrows at the speed of a gale
- Urbosa – Breath of the Wild’s Gerudo champion and chieftain, who piloted the Divine Beast Vah Naboris
It’s unclear if other Breath of the Wild characters, such as King Rhoam, will appear in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. If Nintendo makes any further announcements in the lead-up to launch, we will update this guide.