The Holiday Cup will be arriving to Pokémon Go’s Battle League rotation on December 28. You have a limited time to participate in the event, as it’ll be going away on January 4, 2021, so if you want to compete to earn the exclusive prizes available in the event, you want to make sure you create the best teams to dominate the competition.
The Pokémon requirements for a team to participate in the league boils down to Pokémon that do not exceed a maximum CP of 1,500. They must also be a Normal, Grass, Electric, Ice, Flying, or a Ghost-type. Any Pokémon not meeting these requirements will not be a viable choice.
Vigoroth, Obstagoon, and Skarmory
For those who have a handful of Normal-type Pokémon and you typically don’t use them in the Battle League, now’s your chance to utilize them, even if your selection remains a little low. A great starter option would be Vigoroth, and you can pair it up with Obstagoon and Skarmory, although Obstagoon may be the hardest to receive the trio.
- Vigoroth: Counter (fast attack), body slam, and bulldoze
- Obstagoon: Counter (fast attack), night slash, and cross chop
- Skarmory: Air slash (fast attack), brave bird, and sky attack
Altaria, Alolan Marowak, and Magnezone
One of the better, likely rare choices, is Altaria. It’s a difficult Pokémon to add to your roster due to how challenging it be to reach this evolved form, but if you do and have it with a low enough CP, it’s a viable choice. You can pair it up with Alolan Marowak and Magnezone to do some real damage.
- Altaria: Dragon breath (fast move), sky attack, and dragon pulse
- Alolan Marowak: Fire spin (fast move), shadow bone, and bone club
- Magnezone: Spark (fast move), wild charge, and mirror shot
Alolan Sandslash, Froslass, and Diggersby
For Ice-type Pokémon fans out there, it’s time for those choices to shine with picks like Alolan Sandslash and Froslass. Both of these will be great picks for you to choose in the Holiday Cup, and to help support them, and you’ll want to use Diggersby, one of the newest Pokémon is an excellent Great League contender, making it a perfect choice for the Holiday Cup competition.
- Alolan Sandslash: Powder snow (fast move), ice punch, and bulldoze
- Froslass: Powder snow (fast move), avalanche, and shadow ball
- Diggersby: Mud shot (fast move), fire punch, and earthquake
Skarmory, Alolan Graveler, and Meganium
Another good pick that includes Skarmory will have it teaming up with the Alolan version of Graveler and Meganium. With Alolan Graveler’s typing of Electric, it’ll be able to compete in the league, and it can take down several key choices. Meganium will be a suitable Grass-type to battle any Electric or Water-types players use.
- Skarmory: Air slash (fast move), brave bird, and sky attack
- Alolan Graveler: Volt switch (fast move), stone edge, and rock blast
- Meganium: Vine whip (fast move), frenzy plant, and earthquake
Altaria, Dewgong, and Snorlax
For those who want a truly bulky team capable of handling a good majority of Pokémon, Altaria, Dewgong, and Snorlax, teaming up should be an excellent choice. You’ll have a variety of type coverage to make taking your picks down, and each possesses a variety of attacks that make switching a high priority, but you’ll be able to win a battle of endurance.
- Altaria: Dragon breath (fast attack), sky attack, and dragon pulse
- Dewgong: Ice shard (fast attack), water pulse, and icy wind
- Snorlax: Lick (fast attack), slam, and superpower.