It’s time to check out your city in a whole new way with Pokémon Go with the new City Spotlight event. It’ll be a way for Pokémon trainers to check out iconic locations in a particular city, following particular landmarks with their chosen Pokémon buddy. They refer to it a bit like a treasure hunt, so there’s bound to be a bit of exploring, searching around, and some rewards for your hard work.
This event requires you to purchase a City Spotlight ticket to participate and be in a specific city.
When is the City Spotlight event?
The City Spotlight event will be happening on November 22, from 10 AM to 6 PM in particular time zones. It won’t be in every city in the world. Instead, for the first City Spotlight, it will be happening in these locations.
- Tainan, Taiwan
- Kyoto, Japan
- Auckland, New Zealand
- Busan, South Korea
The exact time zone varies for each city.
What’s in the City Spotlight experience?
The City Spotlight experience features a timed research where trainers take snapshots of their buddy Pokémon. There will be a special gift sticker available at PokéStops. All trainers in the city will also be tasked with completing AR tasks at specific landmarks. The city who completes the most AR scans receives a 1/4 hatch distance bonus for a weekend. All trainers participating in the event also receive these rewards.
- Everything in the free citywide experience.
- The following Pokémon will be attracted to special event Incense: Onix, Lapras, Unown C, Nosepass, Rhyhorn, Doduo, Mantine, Pidgey, Pelipper, Pidgeot, and StoutlandIf you’re lucky, you may encounter a Shiny Unown C. Shiny Unown C will be available only for the duration of this event to Trainers who have a City Spotlight ticket.
- Explore the city with your Buddy Pokémon using exclusive City Spotlight Special Research as a guide! Complete the Special Research to receive a Poffin, an Incense, a Super Incubator, three Lucky Eggs, a Lure Module, an encounter with Lapras, XP, and Stardust.
- Earn up to three extra hearts with your buddy in every category.
- Your buddy will know that an exciting adventure is ahead. Give it treats during the event, and it’ll automatically become excited.
- 1/4 Hatch Distance when an Egg is placed in an Incubator while the City Spotlight initiative is active.
- Incense will be more effective while you’re walking and will last for two hours.
How to be involved in the City Spotlight event
For those who want to be involved in the event, you first have to live in one of the cities listed above. For those who live there, you can purchase a City Spotlight ticket from the Pokémon Go application. You can purchase the ticket starting on November 10, and you have until the 22 to buy it. It costs $4.99, and that price varies based on your region. You can also purchase tickets from this location.