AC: Odyssey Will Now Work On CPUs Without AVX Support, Patch Incoming - Ubisoft
Ubisoft has just provided an update on the ongoing controversy of Assassin's Creed Odyssey not working on CPUs that does not an AVX support. The studio has confirmed via Steam that the development team is actively working on a solution to extend the supported CPUs for their players to be able to run Assassin's Creed Odyssey without AVX support, with the minimum requirement.
AVX here stands for Advanced Vector Extensions - the first set of CPUs that support this are - Intel Core Sandy Bridge processors and the AMD Bulldozer processors. So currently if you are trying to run Assassin's Creed Odyssey with the following listed CPUs then you will experience a lot of performance issues like crashes, and it is possible at times that the game won't launch at all.
- Intel i3, i5, i7 or older CPUs, for example, i7 920.
- Intel Pentium Processors, for example, G4560.
- AMD Phenom Processors, for example, X6 1090T.
The good news has is that Ubisoft is working to includes CPUs without AVX support in the listed of supported CPUs for Assassin's Creed Odyssey. However, as this is going to be an on-going process, there is no ETA at the moment. You can read the full message of Ubisoft Team below:
"We've been actively monitoring player reports about PC crashes and want to take a moment to provide you with an update on this.
First and foremost, we want to thank everyone who got in touch with us via the various channels to provide additional information. Thanks to your support, we were able to identify the common cause of a few instances of reported crashes: the impacted CPUs didn't support AVX – more details below.
We heard your feedback and are now actively working on a solution to extend the supported CPUs for our players to be able to run Assassin's Creed Odyssey without AVX support, within the minimum requirements.
As this is an ongoing process, we are not able to provide an ETA just yet, but rest assured this is a high priority for us and we will keep you updated on the progress.
Let's go through the questions that we've been seeing lately.
What is 'AVX' and why does Assassin’s Creed Odyssey need AVX support?
- AVX stands for Advanced Vertex Extensions and essentially is a list of CPU commands. We’re using AVX because those commands are able to do some vector operations faster. With AVX we are able to get additional performance from the game.
Which CPUs are not supported at release?
- It wouldn't be possible to list exhaustively all the CPUs not supported. The most common processors [without AVX support] used by you are First Generation Intel Core i3,i5,i7, Pentium G and some Intel Xeon processors. For more details on the supported CPUs, please refer to the System Requirements article.
What are the system requirements for ACOD?
- You can find the updated system requirements list HERE. They were updated to answer more in details the recent questions on PC requirements.
I bought the game and my PC doesn't meet the minimum requirements, what can I do?
- If you purchased the game on the Ubisoft Store please reach out to Ubisoft Support or get in touch with your retailer.