ASTRO is well-known for making high-quality gaming headsets ranging in price from extravagant to affordable. Now, ASTRO is entering the controller segment of the gaming peripherals market with the announcement of the C40 TR modular controller for PC and PlayStation 4. And let me tell you, this thing looks like it may just be worth every penny of its USD 199.99 price tag.
ASTRO C40 TR
The “TR” stands for “Tournament Ready” and ASTRO is packing a ton of additional features into the C40 TR to make it stand out from the crowd. That crowd, by the way, is the standard PS4 controller and the Razer Raiju Ultimate, which we just gave a good recommendation in our review. While the Razer Raiju Ultimate is currently only available in Europe, the C40 TR will launch in the United States and Canada in early 2019 and is available for pre-order from the ASTRO website.
ASTRO C40 TR Features
The C40 TR is an officially licensed product for the PlayStation 4 so we expect functionality with that system to be seamless. The C40 TR will also support Windows, though non-Microsoft game controller support has always been iffy at best, so it’ll be interesting to see how this device will hold up.
“Our products have dramatically changed the esports landscape – improving team and player performance along the way,” said Aron Drayer, Vice President of Marketing, ASTRO Gaming. “Our new ASTRO C40 TR Controller is the next natural evolution of our continued commitment to esports, pro gaming and gamers in general. After more than two years of development while incorporating feedback from pro gamers, we’re excited to finally get the C40 TR into the hands of customers. The C40 TR will be a literal game changer.”
Key features of the C40 TR include:
- Replaceable, Swappable Stick Modules: Quickly and easily swap the Analog Stick or D-Pad Modules for consistently sharp performance. Setup the controller in either Offset or Parallel configurations. Replaceable Stick Caps provide added customization for a competitive advantage.
- Integrated, Remappable Rear Buttons: Optimum rear button layout for superior ergonomics improves precision during critical moments. Mappability streamlines the controller for any genre and playstyle while improving response time and accuracy. Remap buttons and save your mappings directly on the controller with no PC software required.
- ASTRO Customization Software: ASTRO customization software exponentially increases the C40 TR’s versatility and accuracy. Create profiles that can be switched directly from the controller. Adjust trigger and stick sensitivity, remap buttons, tweak EQ, audio output, mic out and sidetone.
- Wired/Wireless Modes: With the onboard Mode Switch, quickly change between wired and ASTRO’s proprietary 2.4 GHz wireless mode to adapt to any gaming environment. Both offer low-latency for pro-level performance.
- Wireless Audio: The C40 TR Controller delivers high fidelity game sound and voice chat in Wired and Wireless mode via the 3.5mm jack. The C40 offers game sound and voice chat in Wireless mode. Compatible with any gaming headset with a 3.5mm jack.
- Trigger Stops: Quickly and easily activate the trigger stops, which adjusts the trigger pull distance, to allow hair-trigger performance in most FPS titles.
- 12 Hour Battery Life: Outlast your game with up to 12 hours of battery life.
- Travel Case: Travel safe and secure with the travel case for the C40 TR. Protect your controller, module, stick caps and tool all in one hard-shelled case
The feature I’m most excited about is the ability to not only replace thumbsticks but to swap the location of the left thumbstick and the D-pad. I’ve never been a fan of Sony’s placement of its sticks and hope to get a chance to try out the ASTRO C40 TR in the near future and report back on whether it’s worth the price of admission.
The ASTRO C40 TR Controller is available for pre-order now online direct from ASTRO’s website for USD 199.99 (CAD 269.99), shipping in early 2019, with key retailers Gamestop, Amazon, and Best Buy also offering the product in early 2019. Distribution to other countries will follow.