In March, 1995 Square Enix introduced us to the world of Chrono Trigger on the Super Nintendo. Since then, the series has seen several re-releases on Nintendo handheld devices and even mobile versions.
Today Square Enix announced that Chrono Trigger is available to be purchased on Steam, and that mobile versions of the game will be receiving a brand-new update as well. This comes along side of news that Square Enix released a remaster of Secret of Mana just last week.
What Is Chrono Trigger
Chrono Trigger is your standard role playing game, where you control the protagonist and his companions as you travel through different eras of time trying to stop the evil Lavos. Chrono Trigger is coveted as one of the best video games ever made and was followed by its sequel Chrono Cross.
The PC version of Chrono Trigger comes loaded with extra goodies including a Limited Edition that is available until April 2, 2018. You will find what all is included in the PC version below:
- Two Extra Dungeons – Includes the mysterious “Dimensional Vortex” dungeon and “Lost Sanctum” dungeon that first appeared on the Nintendo DS and mobile versions.
- Limited Edition – Includes an enchanting and specially edited digital song file containing a medley of five songs, Composer Yasunori Mitsuda’s digital liner notes, and a collection of six stunning PC wallpapers in varying sizes.
- Updated Graphics and Sound – Keeping the atmosphere of the original version, this version features optimized visuals designed for modern PC’s and re-recorded soundtrack.
- Updated Controls – Optimized PC experience for both controller and mouse/keyboard configuration.
- New Autosave Feature – Automatically saves while still featuring the original title’s Save Point function.
Editor’s Note: The PC version of Chrono Trigger is essentially a mobile game port, so don’t expect anything pretty. It’s about as ugly as you would expect a mobile port to look on a PC.
With the release of Chrono Trigger on PC, the mobile versions for iOS and Android may also receive a major update which will bring all the enhancements in the PC version to mobile devices, and on the Amazon AppStore beginning today as well.
Whether you’re revisiting the world of Chrono Trigger or experiencing it for the first time, you’ll be in for an adventure of a lifetime. Chrono Trigger can be purchased on iOS, Google Play, Amazon Appstore for $9.99, and on Steam for $14.99.