There are very few things those on the Internet have debated more than the decision of building Cyberpunk 2077 as a first-person shooter game.
Those who know CD Projekt RED for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt were massively disappointed at learning at the developer’s make that choice. The topic is still getting discussed, despite the development on the game wrapping up, and we’re getting closer to the final release.
During the Tokyo Game Show 2019, level designer Max Pears returned on the topic. He claimed the Polish team believes this was the “right choice” for the game, regardless of all the things fans have said and done about it.
“I hope people understand that we have thought about this and there is logic to our process,” Pears told VGC. “We’ve not just thrown this in randomly: there is a lot of thought that’s gone into it. In last year’s demo, you saw the interactive dialogue system, where somebody pulled a gun on your face. I don’t think you would necessarily get that same impact in third-person. It’s moments like that which make it feel like it’s your story and your character.”
Pears continued, “There are clearly some people who are really strong and passionate [about this issue], but we believe that this is the right choice for this game,” the level designer finally mentioned, acknowledging all the buzz that has been around the net about this decision.
It’s good to note people have no reason for being afraid that this decision makes their cosmetic choices worthless. There are moments where you’ll be able to see your character, like in certain cut-scenes, in mirrors, while driving, and more.
Cyberpunk 2077 is releasing on April 16, 2020, for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. It’s also coming to Google Stadia at an undisclosed date.