The next Nintendo Switch Online update to the SNES and NES libraries drops on Dec. 12, featuring a few surprises that were initially exclusive to the SNES Classic Edition that was released last year.
The update notably includes StarFox 2, a long-lost sequel that officially resurfaced with the plug-and-play console’s release. It’s different in structure from the original, and you can check out some gameplay footage in Nintendo’s tweet below.
Super NES – Nintendo Switch Online:
・Star Fox 2
・Kirby Super Star
・Breath of Fire II
NES – Nintendo Switch Online:
・JOURNEY TO SILIUS
— Nintendo of America (@NintendoAmerica) December 5, 2019
Three other SNES classics are coming to the service:
- The role-playing sequel Breath of Fire II joins the fray, taking place 500 years after the original game. It has the same gameplay, along with a compelling new storyline.
- Get ready to knock out opponents with Super Punch-Out!!, which brings a slew of new opponents for Little Mac to fight. Test your boxing skills and win the World Video Boxing Association championship.
- Kirby Super Star brings back everyone’s favorite little puffball in a new platforming adventure, complete with a slew of mini-games.
Two old-school favorites join the NES:
- SNK’s Crystalis is up first, providing old-school action/role-playing skills in an imaginative world. Capture the Sword of Wind and save your world from doom.
- Journey To Silius rounds out the additions, from Sunsoft. Takedown a vicious mechanical army while attempting to rebuild your colony within the Silius Solar System.
This update makes it 50 NES titles and 24 Super Nintendo games available with the Nintendo Switch Online service.
And if you need the classic NES controllers for your Nintendo Switch to enjoy these games, they’ll be on sale starting tomorrow through Jan. 10. Head here to get yours, but make sure you have your Nintendo Switch Online subscription in place.