A rumor about a new model of Nintendo Switch has popped up on Reddit, reporting that the ‘Pro’ version could release in January 2021.
We’re calling this fake for one specific reason. It claims the console would be able to run The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild sequel in 4K and 60fps, which sounds a bit out of Nintendo’s target. Even though that would happen in two years, and you would not expect anything different from a console releasing by that time.
The console would belong in the same Switch and Switch Lite family, offered as a home console only – so not switchable, not handheld only – and would come with these technical features:
- Dimensions: 121 mm x 202 mm x 50.6 mm Weight: 398 g
- Connectors: 2 USB Type-A ports (3.0), 2 USB Type-C ports, 2 HDMI ports, power supply socket
- CPU / GPU: NVIDIA Tegra Xavier processor (custom)
- System memory: 64 GB (SSD)
- Connectivity: Wireless LAN, Bluetooth 5.1
- Video output: standard 1920 x 1080 resolution, FullHD [60 fps], maximum Ultra HD and 4K resolution
- Audio output: linear PCM 5.1 stereo support, and 7.1 surrounds. Speakers: stereo USB ports: Type A (3.0), and Type-C Audio socket: stereo output Game card slots: only for Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch 2 game cards Power supply: AC 100 – 240 V, 50/60 Hz
The price should be around $400, which would be in line with the higher specced Microsoft and Sony console currently around and incoming.
Again, this rumor comes from an unverified source. We don’t believe it, even though it’s worth noting that we’re so far away from 2021.