Trucking around a virtual Europe has ranked near the top of my unexpectedly excellent gaming experiences for quite some time. While American Truck Simulator has attempted to replicate that feeling on this side of the pond, I’ve often harped on it for being too one-dimensional in its regions and visual design. This Thursday, all that changes. The latest map expansion adds the beautifully lush and green state of Oregon to American Truck Simulator.
It would be a crime if SCS Software added the “Beaver State” of Oregon to American Truck Simulator without a heavy dose of the logging industry. Fortunately, it appears as though hauling logs will be a vital part of the industry gamers will enter in the Oregon expansion.
The evergreen natural scenery go along with the deserted country side but also dense city areas like Portland or Salem. Vast forests are covering roughly 60 percent of the state and together with many rivers form the typical western Oregon nature but also important part of state economics. Its natural beauty includes deep forests, plenty of water areas and rivers, but also volcanoes, high deserts, and arid scrublands.
Among the features included in this latest expansion are the following:
- Over 5,000 miles of new in-game roads
- 14 major cities, including Portland, Salem, and Eugene
- 13 large custom rest/truck stops for parking and refueling
- Lots of smaller rest areas and motels around the roads
- 700+ completely new 3D assets
- 25 unique, complex and realistic custom-built junctions and Interstate interchanges
- 17 new local company docks and industries
- Well-known landmarks both natural and man-made – Mt. Hood, Thor’s Well, Crater Lake, Crooked River Valley, Yaquina Head Lighthouse, Youngs Bay Bridge
- Oregon-bound achievements to unlock
SCS Software has done a great job of continually adding new content to its truck simulator titles, both American Truck Simulator and Euro Truck Simulator 2, which is currently awaiting its own expansion to the Baltic Sea.
American Truck Simulator Oregon will be available on Steam on Thursday, October 4, for USD 11.99, €11.99, or £8.99.