After you’ve had your fun with the Little Cup in Pokémon Go, it’s to turn back the clock to revisit the first generation of Pokémon in the Kanto Cup. In it, trainers can only use Pokémon that come from the Kanto region, so that’s the original 151 Pokémon from the game. There are still a few restrictions to this league, such as no Pokémon can be above 1,500 CP, but so long as you have one of the original Pokémon, you can jump into the competition.
The Kanto Cup takes place from February 22 to March 1. These are the best teams you can create to use in the Kanto Cup meta to push ahead of the competition.
Lickitung, Alolan Raichu, and Ninetales
Lickitung is one of the more powerful Kanto Pokémon you can use in this competition. It’s has a great amount of stamina, and equally good attack and defensive stats. You’ll need to round out the team to face off against many of the more common choices, so you’ll want to bring Alolan Raichu and Ninetales. The Alolan Raichu will be perfect to fight against any Water or Flying-type Pokémon you encounter, and Ninetales can battle against the Grass and Poison-type choices you might compete against.
- Lickitung: Lick (fast move), power whip, and body slam
- Alolan Raichu: Volt switch (fast move), wild charge, and thunder punch
- Ninetales: Fire sping (fast move), weather ball (Fire-type), and psyshock
Snorlax, Zapdos, and Dewgong
Everyone’s favorite sleepy Pokémon, Snorlax, won’t be caught asleep in this competition. It’s a great opportunity to use it, and if you pair it with Zapdos and Dewgong, you can expect to hit some nasty combos. Both Dewgong and Zapdos will be making regular appearances during the cup.
- Snorlax: Lick (fast move), superpower, and body slam
- Zapdos: Thunder shock (fast move), thunderbolt, and drill peck
- Dewgong: Ice shard (fast moev), icy wind, and water pulse
Dewgong, Vileplume, and Pidgeot
For those who can’t get enough of Dewgong and have a budget, you want to protect it from other Pokémon that can counter it. Vileplume will be the ace up your sleeve, and Pidgeot, with its new potential to learn gust, can provide it essential back up to grant you victories in this competition.
- Dewgong: Ice shard (fast move), icy wind, and water pulse
- Vileplume: Razor leaf (fast move), sludge bomb, and petal blizzard
- Pidgeot: Gust (fast move), brave bird, and aerial ace
Lapras, Victreebel (shadow), and Alolan Marowak
If you’ve been battling against Team Rocket leader Sierra enough times, you’ve probably caught a Lapras at this point, and using it in the Kanto Cup is a great time to utilize it. You can pair it with Victreebel (shadow) and Alolan Marowak to give it some extra presence.
- Lapras: Ice shard (fast move), surf, and skull bash
- Victreebel (shadow): Razor Leaf (fast move), leaf blade, and acid spray
- Alolan Marowak: Fire spin (fast move), shadow bone, and bone club
Hypno, Primeape, and Gengar
Because Hypno will be one of the best Pokémon to use in the Kanto League, we created a defined team to help it excel. Primeape should be a good option to give plenty of protection. Gengar will be able to protect Hypno against several of its weaknesses, too.
- Hypno: Confusion (fast move), fire punch, and shadow ball
- Primeape: Counter (fast move), close combat, and night slash
- Gengar: Shadow claw (fast move), shadow ball, and shadow punch