The Master League in Pokémon Go places the best trainers against one another as they use their strongest Pokémon to battle it out to prove who’s the best. The Master League features some of the toughest competitions that can be difficult to keep up with for many players who have not reached the highest trainer level. Most of the players in this competition will be using the strongest legendary Pokémon, and any normal Pokémon they’re using will be boosted by XL candy. For the Master League, there are no restraints, you can use any Pokémon you want, and they can be at any CP level.
These competitions will be happening from September 27 to October 11. We’ve also listed out a tier list for the best Master League Pokémon. These are some of the best Pokémon teams we highly recommend using in the Master League.
Best Pokémon teams for the Master League
Snorlax (Shadow), Zacian (Hero), and Garchomp
The first team we will focus on highlights the shadow version of Snorlax as the Lead Pokémon. Snorlax is an exceptionally robust choice, making it difficult to attack because it’s only weak to Fighting-type moves, and it has a solid moveset that can ensure it does a decent amount of damage throughout the battle. To back it up, we’re going to recommend one of the newest legendary Pokémon, Zacian in its hero form, and Garchomp.
- Snorlax (Shadow): Lick (fast move), superpower, and body slam
- Zacian (hero): Snarl (fast move), play rough, and close combat
- Garchomp: Mud shot (fast move), outrage, and earth power
Palkia, Mamoswine, and Metagross
Palkia will be available in five-star raids while part of this Master League competition is available. If you can capture a worthwhile one, we highly recommend using it as a Lead Pokémon. Similar to Dialga, it’s a powerful Pokémon for this competition. When considering a Switch Pokémon, we highly recommend Mamoswine and its striking Ice-type attacks. To round everything out, you can have Metagross hold the line as your Closer.
- Palkia: Dragon tail (fast move), aqua tail, and draco meteor
- Mamoswine: Powder snow (fast move), avalanche, and bulldoze
- Metagross: Bullet punch (fast move), meteor mash, and earthquake
Lugia, Gengar, and Krookodile
A more notable legendary Pokémon you can expect to see plenty of trainers using in the Master League is Lugia. It’s a fearsome Pokémon capable of being one of the best bulky and shield pressure Pokémon in this competition. For backup, we’re going to recommend Gengar, a powerful Ghost-type that can do some severe damage, but it is a massive glass cannon. Finally, for your Closer, we recommend using Krookodile.
- Lugia: Dragon tail (fast move), sky attack, and aeroblast
- Gengar: Shadow claw (fast move), shadow punch, and shadow ball
Genesect (Burn), Milotic, and Togekiss
Another option we’re going to recommend is Genesect with a burn drive, a mythical Pokémon that hasn’t been around for a few months. Genesect is one of the rare Bug-type Pokémon that you can actively see in a handful of the PvP competitions in Pokémon Go, and this Pokémon’s Steel-type does quite a bit to assist it. To back it up, we’re going to recommend you place Milotic in the Switch slot and have Togekiss as your Closer.
- Genesect (Burn): Fury cutter (fast move), x-scissor, and techno blast (Burn-type)
- Milotic: Dragon tail (fast move), surf, and blizzard
- Togekiss Charm (fast move), ancient power, and flamethrower
Melmetal, Gardevoir (Shadow), and Landorus (Therian)
We’re going to recommend the last team to you to try out features Melmetal in the Lead role. Melmetal is a reasonably powerful mythical Pokémon, and many of the higher tier players will be using it. If you’re worried about any Fighting-types that could show up, Gardevoir as a shadow version would be the ideal Switch Pokémon to counter them. For the final Pokémon, we’re going to recommend Landorus in its Therian forme, one of the more powerful Ground-type Pokémon in Pokémon Go.
- Snorlax (Shadow): Lick (fast move), slam, and superpower
- Gardevoir (Shadow): Charm (fast move), synchronoise, and shadow ball
- Landorus (Therian): Mud shot (fast move), superpower, and stone edge