Ubisoft’s 2016 title Watch Dogs 2 is available for free on Epic Games Store, but some players have reported an issue while trying to play the game. After redeeming the game, one can start to download it. However, an issue crops up when players try to start the game. They are redirected to Uplay and while it should automatically activate the game, it asks for an activation key instead.
While the issue is pretty annoying, the fix is straightforward. Follow the steps given below to fix the activation key problem in Watch Dogs 2.
- Close Uplay client and Epic Games Store and ensure it is not running in background.
- Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\cache, take a backup of the “ownership” folder and then delete the Cache folder completely.
- Start Epic Games Store once again and launch the game from your library.
- You will be asked to link your Uplay account, follow the steps on screen to do so.
- The game should automatically get activated and the installation should begin.
Many players have reported that simply restarting their PC fixes the issue as well. So if the above steps don’t work out for you, you can try doing that as well.