Cube World left beta today and is now available on Steam. If you are wondering if the game is free-to-play, the answer is no. Cube World initially launched in an Alpha state over six years ago. It seemed to stall out for quite a well, before entering beta over a week ago. The game has now released on Steam for $19.99.
Will Cube World Go Free To Play In Future?
I sincerely doubt it. The developer has never expressed a desire to turn Cube World into a free to play game. In its current state, the game doesn’t easily support monetization in that fashion. If you feel the price of Cube World is a little too high for you right now, then waiting for a Steam sale if your safest bet.
Game description from Steam:
Cube World is a voxel-based action RPG with a focus on exploration. It takes place in a procedurally-generated fantasy world made up entirely of cubes.
- Choose between four different classes: Warrior, Ranger, Mage, Rogue.
- Action-based combat with dodging, aiming, combos, special skills, and more.
- Explore a nearly infinite, procedurally generated fantasy world.
- Plan your next adventure with the 3D voxel world map. Scroll and zoom everywhere to find your next destination!
- Craft weapons, armor, potions, elixirs and food and more from ingredients found throughout the world.
- Tame pets that fight along your side and or use them as mounts.
- Non-linear, open-world gameplay. Solve quests, help residents, fight huge monsters, explore ancient dungeons! It’s all up to you!
- Discover procedurally generated lore and learn about ancient civilizations and magic artifacts.
- Retrieve unique magic artifacts to level up and improve your skills.
- Earn gold to buy items or to book an eagle flight to new lands.
- Cube World’s unique per-land progression system makes finding loot, solving quests, and clearing dungeons rewarding and exciting over and over again.
- Use your hang glider to take to the skies or explore the oceans with your boat.
- Find magic items to enter secret areas and to support you on your journey.
- Play solo singleplayer or join your friends in coop-online-multiplayer.