If you want to place first in as many races as possible in Mario Kart Tour, then it is essential to understand the controls. While they might take a little bit of getting used to, they do work surprisingly well.
Mario Kart Tour Controls Guide
The first thing to understand is that there is no need to accelerate. Your kart will automatically move down the track and will go in a straight line if you no other direction is being inputted at the time.
To go left and right, drag your finger across the screen, and your kart will turn in the direction you are moving your finger in. You can use items that you pick up during the race by tapping on the screen just below your kart. Just drive through the boxes to get items, then tap the screen to use them.
You can throw items up or down the course, depending on who you want to hit. Just swipe up to throw the item in front of you, or swipe down to throw the item behind you.
You can also change your steering options in the menu, and it is worth experimenting with the different options until you find the best combination that works for you.
- Click Menu on the main screen
- Then click Settings in the bottom right
- Scroll down to Control Method and pick your preferred option
You will be able to choose from the following options:
- Manual Drift
- Smart Steering – there is always some steering assistance, but this will increase the amount of it
- Gyro Handling – this allows you to control the kart by tilting your device, will only work on devices with the appropriate sensors
That should be everything you need to know about the controls in Mario Kart Tour. They can take a little getting used to, but after a couple of races, it should become straightforward to control your kart.