The next-gen version of NBA 2K21 launches this November for the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5, and among one of the changes that will come to this edition will be to the MyPlayer mode, specifically Takeovers. While Takeovers, which are essentially boosts that become active once your player gets hot, remained relatively the same between 2K20 and the current-gen version of NBA 2K21, that will change this November.
On October 21, in a ‘Next-Gen Gameplay Courtside Report’ blog post on the 2K website, NBA 2K Gameplay Director Mike Wang stated that Takeovers will be much different going forward. Rather than having only eight Takeovers that are more general and archetype-based, Wang noted that there will be 24 of them to choose from in NBA 2K21 for the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5. Wang added that these Takeovers can be looked at more like Badges, even though that Takeovers will still be activated in the same manner.
Full list of Takeover abilities
Here’s the list of Takeover abilities in the next-gen version of NBA 2K21:
- Advanced Gathers – Unlocks more effective spin, euro, hop step, cradle gathers
- Finishing Moves – Able to absorb contact and finish at the rim
- Easy Blowbys – Enhances ability for slashers to beat defenders off the dribble
- Pull-Up Precision – Boosts well timed/aimed shots off the dribble
- Anklebreaking Shots – More anklebreakers off of spin and stepback jumpers
- Negative Impact – Reduces defensive impact against pull-ups and other skill shots
- Limitless Range – Extends your shooting range out to the logos
- Spot-Up Precision – Boosts well timed/aimed stationary jump shots
- Team Ratings Boost – Playmakers boost their teammates’ offensive ratings
- Team Takeover Boost – Boost your teammates’ takeover meter progress
- Team Badge Boost – Boosts your teammates’ badges up a tier
- Extreme Clamps – More stone wall and lost dribble body-up resolutions for locks
- Perimeter Badge Drop – Knocks shooting badges down a tier when you get close
- Enhanced Jump Shot Contests – Boosts your ability to contest jumpers
- Stuff Blocks – Unlocks more swat, backboard pins, and grab blocks
- Paint Intimidation – Boosts your ability to affect shots around the rim
- Interior Badge Drop – Drops opposition’s scoring badges down a tier in the paint
- Boxout Wall – Improves ability to seal off opponents for easy boards
- See the Future – Shows where missed shots are going to end up
- Glass Clearing Dimes – After rebounds, kick out passes boost your teammate’s shooting
- Power Backdowns – Easier to push defenders around when posting up
- Post Playmaking – Boost your teammates’ offensive abilities when passing out of post
- Advanced Post Moves – Easier to beat defenders with post moves
- Post Shot Daggers – Increased scoring ability with hooks, fades, shimmy shots, etc.
Primary, Secondary, and Team Takeovers
New to the next-gen version of NBA 2K21 is the ability to set Primary and Secondary Takeovers. During a game, making positive plays will begin to fill up your Primary Takeover first. Once you’ve filled that meter, the Secondary Takeover bar will begin to fill. You can either choose to activate the Primary Takeover right away once you have filled the meter or attempt to fill up both and then activate both abilities simultaneously for an extra boost. Keep in mind, however, that if you make a bad play, your Primary Takeover meter progress will reset.
Team Takeover will return to the next-gen edition of NBA 2K21. The Team Takeover can be filled upon completing the Primary and Secondary bars. Once you’ve filled all three bars, you can then activate not just the Primary and Secondary Takeovers but also the Team Takeover for the entire roster. And just like with the current-gen version, activating the Team Takeover will give you complete control over your teammates.