The Halloween Cup returns to Pokémon Go starting October 20 for the Halloween 2022 event. Everyone will have a chance to return to this competitive field as they attempt to take on some of their favorite ghostly Pokémon. There will be a Great League version and an Ultra League version. This guide covers the Great League version, and we wanted to highlight a handful of choices that we believe can become some true powerhouses for your team. Here’s what you need to know about the best Halloween Cup Pokémon teams in Pokémon Go.
The best Halloween Great League Cup Pokémon teams
The Halloween Cup for this year’s Halloween event will be from October 20 to 27. All players must use Pokémon that do not exceed 1,500 CP and must be a Bug, Dark, Fairy, Ghost, or Poison-type Pokémon.
Alolan Marowak, Nidoqueen, and Umbreon
With this team, Alolan Marowak is your reliable bulky option. You’ll want to use it as your Lead, a solid defensive starter that can reliably spam its abilities. To back it up, we recommend you use Nidoqueen, an extremely capable Pokémon that you can expect to see throughout the Halloween Cup. For your Closer Pokémon, use Umbreon, one of the best Dark-type defenses in Pokémon Go.
- Alolan Marowak – Fire Spin (fast move), Bone club, and Shadow Bone
- Nidoqueen – Poison Jab (fast move), Earth Power, and Poison fang
- Umbreon – Snarl (fast move), Foul Play, and Last Resort
Toxapex, Runerigus, and Galvantula
For this next team, we want to spotlight Pokémon Go’s most recent PvP powerhouse: Toxapex. Many players were eagerly awaiting for this Pokémon to release, and even with a small nerf, it’s still aimed to be one of the more powerful choices in any Great League competition, especially in the Halloween Cup, Alongside it, we’re going to recommend you use Galvantula as your Switch Pokémon and then you have Runerigus as your Closer.
- Toxapex: Poison Jag (fast move), Sludge Wave, and Brine
- Galvantula: Volt Switch (fast move), Lunge, and Discharge
- Runerigus: Shadow Claw (fast move), Sand Tomb, and Shadow Ball
Mawile, Alolan Ninetales, and Sableye
Mawile is the Lead Pokémon in this team. It uses Fire Fang as its preferred fast move, capable of spamming it against enemies. However, its Play Rough ability requires a lot of energy. Therefore, we also recommend Alolan Ninetales for the Switch role and then Sableye as your final Pokémon.
- Mawile – Fire Fang (fast move), Play Rough, and Power-up Punch
- Alolan Ninetales – Powder Snow (fast move), Weather Ball (Ice-type), and Dazzling Gleam
- Sableye – Shadow Claw (fast move), Foul Play, and Return
Jellicent, Alolan Grimer, and Forretress
For this team, we’ll recommend Jellicent for the Lead role. Jellicent has a good amount of defense for this role, coupled with a superb fast move and useful charged moves, making it an ideal option for nearly any team combination. We’ve paired it up for the Halloween Cup with Alolan Grimer and Forretress.
- Jellicent – Hex (fast move), Bubble Beam, and Shadow Ball
- Alolan Grimer – Poison Jab (fast move), Crunch, and Sludge Bomb
- Forretress – Bug Bite (fast move), Earthquake, and Mirror Shot
Drifblim, Skuntank, and Obstagoon
The last team features Drifblim in the Lead role. Drifblim is a flexible Pokémon choice, but we highly recommend it as your first option for the Halloween Cup. To back it up, you’ll want to Skuntank for your Switch Pokémon and then have Obstagoon hold the line.
- Drifblim – Hex (fast move), Shadow Ball, and Icy Wind
- Skuntank – Poison Jab (fast move), Crunch, and Flamethrower
- Obstagoon – Counter (fast move), Gunk Shot, and Nightslash