After dominating the online gaming world, battle royale style games have now firmly set their sights on the mobile sector. After Epic announced that Fortnite would make its way to mobile devices, a mobile version of PUBG has now appeared in the Canadian Google Play store. This was completely unexpected but appears to have been part of a recent partnership between Player Unknown and Tencent Games, which has distribution rights for the game in China. Apparently a mobile version was just a nice bonus thrown into that deal.
While there is no shortage of PUBG clones and weird apps claiming to teach you how to win every time, this PUBG Mobile app is legit. The Google Play Store page shows officially licensed images and details of the game. It is not uncommon for new games to be released in Canada first, using a smaller subset of the North American market as a test bed. It is usually a sign that a wider, US wide launch is imminent.
The Android version claims to be a perfect representation of the full PC game and offers the following features:
- Officially licensed PUBG on Mobile – An authentic port of the PC version. 100 players are dropped on an enormous 8×8 km battlefield. Players fight to survive and eliminate each other through strategy and skill. The last one standing wins! Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner!
- Realistic Graphics and HD Audio – Unreal Engine 4 brings a phenomenal visual experience with detail rendering, an expansive HD map, and realistic scenes. High-quality audio with 3D sound effects and 7.1 channel surround sound makes players feel like they are on the real battlefield.
- Realistic Shooting – With a large selection of firearms, melee weapons, and throwables with realistic ballistics and trajectories, this is the perfect combat experience on mobile.
- Travel in Style – Drive one of a variety of vehicles to escape from your foes or to stalk your prey.
- Team-Up with Friends and Use Voice Chat – Invite friends to team-up, head into battle together and collaborate over voice chat.
- Fair Gaming Environment – Armed with powerful anti-cheating mechanisms and optimized for many devices, ensuring a fun and fair environment for players.
There’s no doubt that mobile devices have gotten extremely powerful, but I do wonder how the game will hold up. I’ve installed it on my Google Pixel 2 but haven’t had a chance to fire it up beyond the character creation screen. There’s no continuation of your PC or Xbox One character from what I can tell, but it did let me sign in via Facebook so I can spam all my friends when I win a chicken dinner!
The game claims to support over 500 Android devices, as long as you have at least Android 5.1.1 or above and at 2 GB RAM. For non-Canadian gamers, you can either sit tight and wait for PUBG Mobile to arrive in your local Google Play Store, or change your region to Canada temporarily. No word on an iOS version at this time.