Every month, various field research tasks players receive from visiting PokéStops and Gyms in Pokémon Go. These tasks give players a simple activity to do in the game, and upon completing that activity, it provides them a reward. These typically provide trainers with a chance to encounter a specific Pokémon. If you’re on the hunt for a certain one, you’ll be able to find one without having to find them in a particular region.
January 2021 features a variety of Dragon-type Pokémon for trainers eager to get their hands on these rarer encounters. You need to acquire the exact field research task, so there’s a bit of luck involved with them, as there is much regarding Pokémon Go, but it might give you better chances than finding them in the wild.
Here are all of the field research tasks you can complete in January 2021.
- Catch 10 Pokémon – Magikarp
- Catch 5 Pokémon with a Weather Boost – Vulpix, Poliwag, or Swinub
- Catch a Dragon-type Pokémon – Dratini
- Defeat 3 Team Rocket grunts – Scyther
- Earn 5 hearts with your buddy – Lillipup
- Evolve a Pokémon – Exeggutor or Eevee
- Give your buddy 3 treats – Meditite
- Hatch an egg – Marill
- Make 3 Excellent throws in a row – Gible
- Make 3 Great throws – Gastly, Lileep, or Anorith
- Make 3 Great throws in a row – Onix
- Make 5 Great curveball throws in a row – Spinda
- Make 5 Nice throws – Voltorb
- Power up a Pokémon 5 times – Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle
- Send 3 gifts to friends – Jigglypuff
- Trade a Pokémon – Seadra
- Use 5 berries to help catch a Pokémon – Makuhita
- Win 5 raids – Aerodactyl
- Win a raid – Litwick
- Wint a three-star raid or higher – Omanyte or Kabuto
By completing one of these tasks every day in January, you’ll be able to unlock the research breakthrough Pokémon of the month after you complete seven in a row. For January 2021, Chansey is the research breakthrough Pokémon.