An as RPG, Baldur’s Gate 3 gives you the freedom to make your own playable character. There is a selection of pre-made characters for you to play as, but there is also a character customization tool available if you want to make your own avatar.
Part of that customization process allows you to pick from one of nine races in Baldur’s Gate 3. Each race grants you specific buffs and abilities, and you may want a hand deciding which one to opt for. Our rundown of each Baldur’s Gate 3 race shows you what you will get if you select them, so read on before you make your selection.
Underdark elves who worship the goddess Lolth. There are no sub-races available for you to choose from for this race.
- Ability – +1 Charisma Score
- Racial features – Cantrips, Darkvision, Drow Weapon Training
A race who hate goblins and orcs, and who live in the hills or beneath the mountains.
- Ability – +2 Constitution Score
- Racial features – Darkvision, Dwarven Combat Training, Dwarven Resilience, Tool Proficiency, Stonecutting
- Sub-races – Hill Dwarf and Mountain Dwarf
- Languages – Common and Dwarvish
Gifted in magic and beings of ethereal beauty. They live in this world but are not entirely a part of it.
- Ability – +2 Dexterity Score
- Racial features – Darkvision, Keen Senses, Fey Ancestry, Trance
- Sub-races – High Elf and Wood Elf
- Languages – Common and Elvish
Clever and tenacious, Half-Drows have been exiled from their Drow colonies and live and work alone. There are no sub-races.
- Abilities – +1 to two Ability Scores of player’s choosing
- Racial features – Cantrips, Darkvision
Beings who possess elven and human qualities. This race is welcomed by all, but they struggle to find a place to truly call home. Tend to live alone or with other social outcasts, and have no sub-races
- Abilities – +2 Charisma Score, +1 to two other Ability Scores of player’s choosing
- Racial features – Darkvision, Fey Ancestry, Skill Versatility
- Languages – Common, Elvish, and another of player’s choice
Halflings value home life more than any other race. A preference for quiet, communal lives over fighting, and can travel in nomadic tribes to discover new lands to settle on.
- Ability – +2 Dexterity Score
- Racial features – Lucky, Brave, Halfling Nimbleness
- Sub-races – Lightfoot and Stout
- Languages – Common and Halfling
Fearsome warriors who seek out and destroy all mind flayers. Trained in silver blade combat, and often seen riding red dragons. No sub-races.
- Abilities – +2 Strength Score, +1 Intelligence Score
- Racial features – Decadent Mastery, Martial Prodigy
The youngest of the common races, and shorter-lived than most races. Possess the most increases to their ability scores due to their perseverance, determination, and will to succeed. No sub-races.
- Abilities – +1 Intelligence Score, +1 Strength Score, +1 Dexterity Score, +1 Widsom Score, +1 Constitution Score, +1 Charisma Score
- Racial features – +1 additional language
- Languages – Common
Demonic-looking beings due to a pact with the Overlord of the Nine Hells Asmodeus. Tieflings are often ridiculed and attacked in the streets for their appearance and ancient sin.
- Ability – +2 Charisma Score, +1 Intelligence Score
- Racial features – Darkvision, Hellish Resistance, Infernal Legacy
- Sub-races – Asmodeus Tiefling
- Languages – Common and Infernal