In just over a week Respawn’s Apex Legends has jumped to the forefront of conversation. Amassing millions of players in days, the Titanfall developer has put its spin on the battle royale genre with role selected heroes.
With Apex Legends quickly eclipsing other battle royale games such as Fortnite, here’s a breakdown of the titular legends in Apex and their unique abilities so you and your friends can build a champion squad.
Apex Legends Ability Guide
- Gun Shield – Aiming down sights deploys a gun shield that blocks incoming fire.
- Dome of Protection – Throw down a dome-shield that blocks attacks for 15 seconds.
- Defensive Bombardment (Ultimate) – Call in a concentrated mortar strike on a position you mark with smoke.
The only tank unlocked at the start of the game, Gibraltar is an excellent go-to character if you’re looking for a hero that can hold their own in close combat, low movement encounters. However, one big caveat to his Dome of Protection is that no shots, including those from allies, can go through the shield.
- Nox Vision – You gain threat vision on enemies moving through your gas.
- Nox Gas Trap – Place up to 6 canisters that release deadly Nox gas when shot or triggered by enemies.
- Nox Gas Grenade (Ultimate) – Blanket a large area in Nox gas.
Once you’ve unlocked Caustic his ability to lay down gas traps in high traffic areas or near loot crates is a great way to soften up enemies before you engage in a firefight. If you’re feeling annoyed, landing on the supply ship during your initial drop and laying out, gas traps can help ensure you get the best loot.
- Tracker – Foes leave behind clues for you to find.
- Eye of the Allfather – Briefly reveal enemies, traps, and clues through all structures in front of you.
- Beast of the Hunt (Ultimate) – Transform into the ultimate hunter. Enhance your senses, allowing you to see cold tracks and move faster.
As the lone Tracker in Apex (as of now), Bloodhound’s ability to track and reveal enemies makes him strong any time in the game. If you’re commonly frustrated by endgame camping and an inability to flush out the last remaining squad, Allfather and Beast can help you gain the upper hand and claim victory over an entrenched enemy.
- Combat Medic – Revive knocked down teammates faster while protected by a shield wall. Healing items are used 25% faster.
- D.O.C Heal Drone – The Drone Of Compassion (DOC) automatically heals those near it over time.
- Care Package (Ultimate) – Call in a drop pod full of high-quality defensive gear.
In the absence of a Phoenix Kit, the Heal Drone can be used to regen health while popping shield batteries, letting you get back into the fight faster. Getting high-quality gear from drop pods early is an excellent way to gain an edge, but the pods can also be used to help a revived teammate stock up when they return to battle.
- Insider Knowledge – Scan a survey beacon to reveal the ring’s next location.
- Grappling Hook – Grapple to get to out-of-reach places quickly.
- Zipline Gun (Ultimate) – Creates a zip line for everyone to use.
With an impressive amount of verticality to the map, Pathfinder’s abilities can allow him to gain the high ground quickly over enemies. However, players might find themselves separated from their teammates if they’re too eager to use zip lines, so proceed with caution.
- Voices from the Void – You hear a voice when danger approaches. As far as you can tell, it’s on your side.
- Into the Void – Reposition quickly through the safety of the “void” space, avoiding all damage.
- Dimensional Rift – Link 2 locations with portals for 60 seconds.
Into the Void can be used to get into (or out of) a fight quickly or set up a flank. The Dimensional Rift can also allow downed teammates to crawl through so you can pick them up away from danger. However, Voices from the Void will prompt the player to “Warn Teammate.” It’s easy to miss in the heat of battle so keep out a watchful eye.
- Double Time – Taking fire while sprinting makes you move faster for a brief time.
- Smoke Launcher – Fire a high-velocity smoke canister that explodes into a smoke wall on impact.
- Rolling Thunder (Ultimate) – Call in artillery strike that slowly creeps across the landscape.
The most “traditional” DPS character in the game, Bangalore is strong when it comes to advancing on the enemy team and laying down the fire. Beware when using her ultimate, however, as you need to throw a flare to call in the artillery strike and getting in range of enemy squads could put you in their line of fire.
- Encore – Automatically drop a decoy and cloak for 5 seconds when knocked down.
- Psyche Out – Send out a holographic decoy to confuse the enemy.
- Vanishing Act (Ultimate) – Deploys a team of decoys to distract enemies while he cloaks.
Along with Caustic, Mirage must also be unlocked to be used on the field. His decoys open up an array of movement options in combat from helping flank to giving a player a chance to rush the enemy with his ultimate. It’s tough to say we’ve seen the full range of what good players can do with such an impressive legend in the first week.