While Magikarp is a joke Pokémon to many, its evolved form is not. Gyarados is a powerful Pokémon and it takes 400 Magikarp candy to evolve the flopping fish into the incredible evolution in Pokémon Go. Gyarados can learn a variety of moves, but there’s a distinct few that make it truly shine.
Gyarados is a Water and Flying-type Pokémon. It has a maximum CP of 3,391, an attack of 237, a defense of 186, and stamina of 216. While it may not have the best defense, you can bet it makes up for that with its tremendous attack. Luckily, it’s only weak to Rock and Electric-types, but it’s especially vulnerable when fighting anything with an Electric-type move, so you need to make sure you have a counter to those Pokémon. It’s a great choice for the Ultra and Master Leagues, especially if you can get a shadow version.
Here are the moves Gyarados can learn:
- Bite (Dark-type) – 4 damage and 2 energy (4 damage per turn)
- Dragon breath (Dragon-type) – 4 damage and 3 energy (4 damage per turn)
- Dragon tail (Dragon-type) – 9 damage and 3 energy (3 damge per turn)
- Waterfall (Water-type) – 12 damage and 2.6 energy (4 damage per turn)
- Aqua Tail (Water-type) – 50 damage and 35 enegy
- Crunch (Dark-type) – 70 damage and 45 energy
- Dragon Pulse (Dragon-type) – 90 damage and 60 energy
- Hydro Pump (Water-type) – 130 damage and 75 energy
- Outrage (Dragon-type) – 110 damage and 60 energy
- Twister (Dragon-type) – 45 damage and 45 energy
There are several choices for Gyarados to pick regarding its attacks. The best fast attack choice is dragon breath. It provides the ideal mixture of energy, and it does enough damage to make it a worthwhile attack during a battle.
For charge moves, you have even more choices. However, you can get rid of hydro pump, outrage, and dragon pulse. Those choices require too much energy to make them viable. You definitely want to give aqua tail to Gyarados, but because its a Community Day move, it’s exceptionally difficult to get it. But it’s a powerful attack, and makes Gyarados even stronger. The second charge move you should make sure to get is crunch, giving Gyarados some decent type coverage.
Overall, Gyarados is one of the more powerful Pokémon you can acquire to use in the Ultra and Master Leagues. If you want even better results, make sure to have a shadow version that knows dragon breath for its fast move, along with aqua tail and crunch for its charge moves.