Even though Magikarp is not a good Pokémon, it evolves into Gyarados, one of the more powerful choices in any game. In Pokémon Go, you’ll need to collect 400 Magikarp candy to evolve one into a Gyarados, and you want to make sure you have the best one available to you to make the most out of it. In this guide, we’re going to cover the best moveset to teach Gyarados in Pokémon Go.
Best Gyarados moveset
Gyarados is a Water and Flying-type Pokémon. It will be weak against Electric and Rock-type moves but is resistant against Bug, Fighting, Fire, Ground, Steel, and Water-type moves. It is extremely weak against Electric-type attacks, which means you want to make sure you can shut down any opponent that uses them against you to ensure your Gyarados can survive. Avoid fighting an Electric-type or a Pokémon with Electric-type moves as often as possible with Gyarados.
These are all the moves Gyarados can learn.
- Bite (Dark-type) – 4 damage and 2 energy (4 damage per turn) – 1 turn
- Dragon breath (Dragon-type) – 4 damage and 3 energy (4 damage per turn) – 1 turn
- Dragon tail (Dragon-type) – 13 damage and 3 energy (4.3 damage per turn) – 3 turns
- Waterfall (Water-type) – 12 damage and 2.6 energy (4 damage per turn) – 3 turns
- Aqua Tail (Water-type) – 50 damage and 35 energy
- Crunch (Dark-type) – 70 damage and 45 energy (30% chance to lower an opponent’s defense)
- Dragon Pulse (Dragon-type) – 90 damage and 60 energy
- Hydro Pump (Water-type) – 130 damage and 75 energy
- Outrage (Dragon-type) – 110 damage and 60 energy
- Twister (Dragon-type) – 45 damage and 45 energy
There are several choices for you to select regarding Gyarados’ fast attack, with several good options. However, the best option will be to go with Dragon Breath. Although this attack shares the same energy generation as Dragon Tail, Dragon Breath is a faster attack, making it the superior option.
For charged moves, you have even more choices. We highly recommend going with Aqua Tail and Crunch of the options available to Gyarados. Aqua Tail is a decisive Water-type move that doesn’t cost too much energy, enabling you to spam it against an opponent or even use it as bait. With Crunch, it’s also a low-energy Dark-type move, capable of potentially debuffing an opponent. You can swap out the second option for stronger attacks, such as Outrage, which is a viable attack and can be helpful against nearly any opponent.
The best moveset to teach Gyarados is the fast move Dragon Breath and the charged moves Aqua Tail and Crunch.