While Magikarp is a joke Pokémon to many, its evolved form is not. Gyarados is a powerful Pokémon and it takes 400 Magikarp candy to evolve the flopping fish into the incredible evolution in Pokémon Go. Gyarados can learn a variety of moves, but there’s a distinct few that make it truly shine.
Gyarados is a Water and Flying-type Pokémon. It has a maximum CP of 3,391, an attack of 237, a defense of 186, and stamina of 216. While it may not have the best defense, you can bet it makes up for that with its tremendous attack. Luckily, it’s only weak to Rock and Electric-types, but it’s especially vulnerable when fighting anything with an Electric-type move, so you need to make sure you have a counter to those Pokémon.
Here are the moves Gyarados can learn:
- Bite (Dark-type) (6 Damage, and 4 Energy)
- Dragon breath (Dragon-type) (6 Damage, and 4 Energy)
- Dragon tail (Dragon-type) (15 Damage, and 9 Energy)
- Waterfall (Water-type) (19 Damage, and 8 Energy)
- Aqua Tail (Water-type) (50 Damage, and 33 Energy)
- Crunch (Dark-type) (70 Damage, and 33 Energy)
- Dragon Pulse (Dragon-type) (90 Damage, and 50 Energy)
- Hydro Pump (Water-type) (156 Damage, and 100 Energy)
- Outrage (Dragon-type) (110 Damage, and 50 Energy)
- Twister (Dragon-type) (45 Damage, and 33 Energy)
You have several choices when it comes to Gyarados’ moveset. For his fast moves, you want to do away with bite. It’s decent on other Pokémon, but there are better choices. Waterfall is the strongest fast move for Gyarados, followed behind its legacy move dragon tail. Dragon tail is harder to get unless you have an elite fast TM, but with waterfall being a stronger move, it’s not the end of the world for any trainer.
For Gyarados’ charge move, hydro pump stands the tallest amongst the other choices. There are several Dragon-type options you can pick, and if you want your Gyarados to have a fast Water-type and then a Dragon-type charge attack, outrage is a good option, but the highest DPS available to it is to have a waterfall and hydro pump combo. For slightly less DPS you can use waterfall and outrage. Aqua Tail is an exclusive Community Day move available to everyone on August 8, and after that you need an elite charge TM to teach it to your Gyarados. It’s a decent secondary charge move, but not superior to other Water-type options.