There are so many daily word games and clones of websites such as Wordle out there that it can seem impossible to find something original and engaging to add to the roster of daily short word games. Enter Connections, a word association game from The New York Times that challenges players to try something new in the word game genre. This guide explains what Connections is, how to play it, and the answer for each day.
How to Play Connections
Connections is a word association game that requires players to match four words on a grid of sixteen together into four groups. Players must select the four words they believe fit together, then click the ‘Submit’ button. The game will inform the player if they’re correct by rearranging the words into a colored block at the top of the screen. If, however, the player is incorrect, the words will vibrate, and players will lose one of their four lives. If a player runs out of lives, they’ll fail the game for that day but will still see the answers. Groups of answers are arranged by color according to their difficulty, going from yellow as the easiest through green and blue, then purple as the trickiest. The only place fans can play Connections is the official website via The New York Times.
What is Today’s Connections Answer?
In this section, we’ve got the answer for today’s Connections puzzle (July 22, 2023) and have listed every puzzle we’ve covered in the past week or so in the list below. Players should use the list below to get an idea of what the latest word associations might be, giving them a leg up on the competition in the future.
Connections Answer for October 1, 2023 (#112)
See above for the complete solution to Connections Puzzle #112 for October 1, 2023. This one was insanely difficult. We didn’t know what to make of it, and it just completely threw us. It doesn’t help that the puzzle for today seems to be broken. See below for a list of every group required to complete the puzzle.
- Group 1 – Coffee Counter Items: CUP, LID, STIRRER, STRAW
- Group 2 – Nocturnal Animals: IRON, PUTTER, WEDGE, WOOD
- Group 3 – Things That are Red: BEET, BRICK, CARDINAL, POPPY
- Group 4 – Things That are Red: BEET, BRICK, CARDINAL, POPPY
Connections Answer for September 30, 2023 (#111)
See above for the complete solution to Connections Puzzle #111 for September 30, 2023. We were completely stuck on this one and just had no clue how to make any of the links. See below for a list of every group used in the solution.
- Group 1 – Playing Card Suits: CLUB, DIAMOND, HEART, SPADE
- Group 2 – Golf Clubs: IRON, PUTTER, WEDGE, WOOD
- Group 3 – Yearn: ACHE, LONG, PINE, THIRST
- Group 4 – Insufficient: LOW, SHORT, SHY, WANTING
Connections Answer for September 29, 2023 (#110)
See above for the complete solution to Connections Puzzle #110 for September 29, 2023. This one was nice and simple, which is a big difference for a Friday. We loved working through it because we actually managed to get every group correct. See below for a list of every group used.
- Group 1 – Recycling Categories: GLASS, METAL, PAPER, PLASTIC
- Group 2 – Very Important: CENTRAL, CRITICAL, KEY, VITAL
- Group 3 – Hudsons: HENRY, JENNIFER, KATE, ROCK
- Group 4 – What “Beat” May Mean: ASSIGNMENT, DEFEAT, TEMPO, TIRED
Connections Answer for September 28, 2023 (#109)
See above for the complete answer to Connections Puzzle #109 for September 28, 2023. This one is challenging but fair, a really nice combination. It took us a little time, but we got through it. See below for a list of every group used.
- Group 1 – Ways to Gather Food: FISH, FORAGE, HUNT, TRAP
- Group 2 – Reflect Light: FLASH, GLEAM, GLITTER, SPARKLE
- Group 3 – Rap Subgenres: BOUNCE, CRUNK, DRILL, GRIME
- Group 4 – Light ___: BEER, BULB, RAIL, YEAR
Connections Answer for September 27, 2023 (#108)
See above for the complete solution to Connections Puzzle #108 for September 27, 2023. This one was really challenging to work through, but we got there in the end. It’s a great puzzle to start the day off with. See below for a list of every group used.
- Group 1 – Candy Store Treats: CHOCOLATE, GUM, LICORICE, LOLLIPOP
- Group 2 – Produced by Trees: ACORN, CONE, POLLEN, SAP
- Group 3 – Target of a Scheme: CHUMP, FOOL, MARK, SUCKER
- Group 4 – Things With Eye(s): FACE, HURRICANE, NEEDLE, POTATO
Connections Answer for September 26, 2023 (#107)
See above for the complete solution to Connections Puzzle #107 for September 26, 2023. This one was truly devious. So incredibly difficult. We barely got one group and that’s only because we messed up another group we thought was in there. See below for a list of all the groups used.
- Group 1 – Snakes: SNAKES, MAMBA, PYTHON, VIPER
- Group 2 – Lingerie: GARTER, SLIP, TEDDY, THONG
- Group 3 – Summary: ABSTRACT, BRIEF, DIGEST, RUNDOWN
- Group 4 – Full ___: CIRCLE, HOUSE, MONTY, MOON
Connections Answer for September 25, 2023 (#106)
See above for the complete solution to Connections Puzzle #106 for September 25, 2023. This one was fairly easy, but we couldn’t work out those final two groups because we just didn’t see where they linked. See below for a list of every group used.
- Group 1 – Bridal Accessories: BOUQUET, RING, TRAIN, VEIL
- Group 2 – “C” words for “Envelop”: CAKE, COAT, COVER, CRUST
- Group 3 – Jacks: BLACK, FROST, MA, SPARROW
- Group 4 – Social Media App Endings: BOOK, GRAM, IN, TUBE
Why is Connections in Beta?
At the time of writing, Connections is in beta on The New York Times website. This means it’s not final and subject to change, though we suspect the formula will remain close to what we’ve explained above. The thing that’s likely to be in beta is the difficulty since the development team will be trying to work out a way to automate the puzzles without them being too easy or too challenging for players.