Scars are a cosmetic item available for all pirate characters in Sea of Thieves. They only provide an aesthetic appearance and do not alter the gameplay in manner. Earning them is a bit more complicated than merely purchasing them from the vanity chest and putting them on as if they were new weapon appearances or outfits. Once you complete the commendation, you can obtain the item from the vanity chest, and it should be available to you at no cost. Unfortunately, two of the three scars were available during limited-time events. Unless they become available to players again, you need to wait for a similar event to release again.
There are three scars in Sea of Thieves, and you can unlock them by having access to the outfit set associated with them.
- Bone Crusher Scars: The Bone Crusher outfit set was only available during the Cursed Sails update, which happened in August 2018. You needed to complete the three battles released at the time of the content update.
- Forsaken Ashes Scars: You need to complete the Master Devil’s Voyager commendation, which is still available. To do this, you need to complete all of the Devil’s Voyager commendations, which include:
- Earning the Golden Devil’s Voyager commendation by completing the Devil’s Roar Voyage 5 times for the Gold Hoarders
- Earning the Mystic Devil’s Voyager commendation by completing the Devil’s Roar Voyage 5 times for the Order of Souls
- Shark Bitemark Scars: You could earn these scars during The Hungering Deep event, which happened from May 28 to June 13, 2018. You needed to defeat The Hungering One, and then speak to Merrick.
While these are the only available scars released at this time, more should be available in the future following additional updates. The Forsaken Ashes Scars is the only one players can earn at any time of their leisure.