When you’re in camp in Pokémon Sword and Shield, you have the opportunity to put your cooking skills to the test and make a pot of curry. When you feed it to your Pokémon, they become more friendly towards you, gain their health back, and earn experience points. All of this improves based on the quality of the curry you make for them.
There are five curry rankings in the game.
- Charizard Class (Gold): Eating this curry restores a Pokémon’s health, PP and cures them of any status effects. They also gain a lot of experience points and become more friendly towards you.
- Copperajah Class (Silver): Eating this curry restores a Pokémon’s health, PP, and cures them of any status effects. They also gain plenty of experience points and are friendlier towards you. Not as good as Charizard, but there are several similar effects.
- Milcery Class (Bronze): Eating this curry restores a Pokémon’s health and cures them of any status effects. They also gain a decent number of experience points and become friendly to you.
- Wobbuffet Class: Eating this curry restores half of a Pokémon’s health, they gain a few experience points, and become slightly friendly to you.
- Koffing Class: Eating this curry restores a little bit of a Pokémon’s health. They also gain a small number of experience points and are a bit friendly to you.
You want to aim for anything above the Milcery class since your campsite slightly works like an on-the-go Pokémon center when you make food. There are four ways you can directly influence the quality of curry you make for your team. Unfortunately, at this time, there’s no exact formula to walk away with a Charizard-level ranking every time. But right now, we have a few ideas of how this process works.
The first is picking out the correct berries and ingredients before you start cooking. You want to use one of the higher quality bases, which you can get from the vendors in the green-and-red outfits with large backpacks. You can find them throughout the Wild Area. They have things like sausages, burgers, bread, coconut milk, fresh cream, and many more choices. You need to read the ingredient’s description before putting it into a large curry mix to have an idea of what flavors to focus on for your berry choices.
Berries are a vital component in these meals, and you get to choose which ones to place into a dish. For the highest quality, you want to use the berries with “slightly rare” or “rare” descriptions. When you use a rare berry, you increase the overall quality of the dish from the start, making it far easier to walk with a higher ranking medal. Make sure they complement the base choice flavor, too.
If the first berry you use is “bitter,” you want to make sure you use other berries that are also bitter and bring out that flavor. The same goes for spicy, sweet, dry, sour, and some are neutral.
The second thing to influence your dish is fanning the flames when you toss all of your ingredients into the pot. You don’t want to spam the fan frantically the entire time. Instead, you want to go at a steady, full pattern, watching the steam and sparkles come out of the dish. You want to go quick at first to build up the flame, but then slow down when it’s going.
If you reliably have sparkles coming out of the top, you’re on the right track. It takes some practice to match the flames to the dish, so take your time and watch your rhythm.
The next portion has you stirring the ingredients together. You want to not spill the meal out of the pot, but all of the ingredients cook together underneath the flames. Much like the fanning portion, watch for the visual effects to give you a better idea of how you’re doing.
The final part has you put your heart into the creation, and you need to throw “your heart” in at the right time. You want to aim for the small circle inside the larger ring. To properly get the heart thrown in at the right time, you want to time your clicking a few seconds before the shrinking ring gets to the inside. The circle continues to constrict after pressing the button, so you want to make sure you give the heart a few seconds to perform its animation.
Those are the significant factors in achieving a higher ranking in curry making. Some players have reported they have had additional success in making curry with other players. If you don’t have access to Nintendo’s online program, you can still make curry with others. You can find one of the NPC campers to make curry with and achieve the same amount of success. Camping with friends helps, but the quality of ingredients, fanning, stirring, and throwing your heart in at the right time helps you out the most.