In Stardew Valley, farming is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to making a fortune. There are other, lesser-known ways to make a profit in the game, like the Slime Hutch.
The Slime Hutch is often overlooked but can be a valuable addition to your farm. With this setup, you can expect to make around 1000 gold per day just from slimes. While not the fastest money-making method, it’s a hands-off way to earn passive income. You only need to check in every once in a while to get profit. So, let’s delve into the Slime Hutch, how it works, and the best layout for maximizing your profits.
Stardew Valley’s Slime Hutch, Explained
To get the Slime Hunch, speak with Robin and purchase the building for 10,000 gold, 500 stone, 10 refined quartz, and one Iridium bar.
Once you’ve built your Slime Hutch, Marlon will gift you your first egg. This opens the door to owning green, blue, red, purple, and tiger slimes, each with a 1% chance of dropping an egg of their color.
But the real money-making magic happens overnight. The Slime Hutch will produce one slimeball for every five slimes residing there. Harvesting these slimeballs yields an average of 15.1 slime and 0.5 petrified slime. Combine 100 slimes in the Slime Press to produce valuable slime eggs. This means you can gather up to four slime eggs daily, provided you keep the troughs filled with water.
Best Slime Hutch Layout in Stardew Valley
Keeping the slimes contained and happy is the key to a successful Slime Hutch. Here’s how to do it:
- Use sprinklers to fill the water troughs automatically. This ensures a constant supply of water.
- Equip the Slime Charmer Ring to make slimes harmless. It’s obtained by completing the monster eradication quest at the Adventurers Guild, which involves defeating 1000 slimes.
- Fence in the slimes anywhere in the hutch. Corral the existing slimes or start fresh and enclose them near the incubator. Don’t forget to add double gates for easy access and to prevent accidental escapes.
- Place flooring inside the “pen” to prevent slimeballs from spawning there. This also eliminates the need to enter the pen and retrieve slimeballs manually.
- Place one Iridium sprinkler towards the middle or multiple smaller ones to ensure constant watering.
- Add Slime Presses to process your slimes into eggs. Create storage chests to hold valuable items like the Slime Charmer Ring, slime, and petrified slime.