Dead Cells is a hard journey, and while difficulty and accessibility are two distinct concepts, it’s still important that developers create games for as many people as possible. Anyone should be able to take on the challenge of the beloved roguelike. Thus, developer Motion Twin has released the Breaking Barriers update, which brings a large number of accessibility options to the game.
Among the new options is the ability to continue from the beginning of a biome, change your controller inputs, and streamline what’s being visually represented on screen. You can even reduce the number of sounds playing at once, which should do wonders for folks who deal with sensory overload. You can view the full list of new accessibility options below and visit Dead Cells’ patch notes page for additional changes in this update.
Related: How to enter The Bank in Dead Cells
Dead Cells Breaking Barriers update — all accessibility options
- Continue Mode: each time you die you can resurrect from the beginning of the biome (this effectively already existed by quitting the game when you die, now it’s just ‘official’).
- Auto-hit mode: automatically target nearby enemies with your primary melee weapon.
- Adjustable trap damage, enemy damage and enemy health in % increments.
- Option for slower parry window and trap speed
New Gameplay Options
- Hold to jump.
- Hold to roll.
- Shield toggle option, instead of long press.
New Input Options
- Customizable Long Interact input.
- Customizable Dive Attack input.
- Customizable functions for the Left Stick, Right Stick, and D-Pad.
New Video Options
- Customizable HUD transparency and size.
- New font option: Arial.
- Customizable Brutality / Tactic / Survival colors.
- Display stats icons in addition to their color.
- Display critical strike feedback on the HUD.
- Display effect icons in item descriptions. If two effects synergize with each other, the icons glow.
- Outlines for the Beheaded, Enemies, Skills, Projectiles and Secrets.
- Disable blood.
- Reduce the number of particles.
New Sound Options
- Customize categories of sound effects individually (active, enemies, environment, etc.)
- Added a customizable sound priority system, to limit the number of sounds at once.