The Titan is Destiny 2’s most stalwart class as it continues to serve a dual purpose between offensive and defensive mindedness. Destiny 2 introduces Guardians to the Sentinel subclass, which takes parts of the previous Defender class and mixes in some offensively gifted skills to create a well-balanced class that offers something for everyone.
The Striker subclass from Destiny makes a return in largely unchanged form, which will please PvP enthusiasts as they continue to Titan-Smash the opposition.
A Sentinel Titan’s powers revolve mostly around the Void element, while the Striker is trained in the arts of Arc damage.
The Sunbreaker class grants access to combined powers of Solar energy and hammers that are great for crowd control and also offer powerful debuffs to use against enemies.
Titan subclasses are presented with a choice of three grenades, each with its own advantages. The choices are as follows:
- Flashbang Grenade – Disorients enemies it damages
- Pulse Grenade – Periodically damages enemies inside its explosion radius
- Lightning Grenade – Sticks to surfaces and emits bolts of lightning
- Voidwall Grenade – Creates a horizontal wall of burning Void Light
- Magnetic Grenade – Attaches to enemies and explodes twice
- Suppressor Grenade – Prevents enemies from using abilities for a short time
- Incendiary Grenade – A grenade that sets enemies on fire when it explodes
- Thermite Grenade – A grenade that sends forward a burning line of fire
- Fusion Grenade – An explosive grenade that deals bonus damage when it attaches to a target
Both the Sentinel and the Striker subclass share a set of jump abilities, leaving the player to choose from one of the following:
- High Lift – Jump while airborne to active Lift for greater height
- Strafe Lift – Jump while airborne to activate Lift with strong directional control
- Catapult Lift – Jump while airborne to active Lift with a strong initial burst of momentum
Those used to the jumping behavior of Titans in the original Destiny game will notice that the feel of the jump has been altered quite a bit. However, the functionality of the jumps above remains the same.
Class abilities are a new concept in Destiny 2, and each class gets to choose from two abilities that add a new level of depth to the game.
Both subclasses feature two variations on a theme of a defensive support ability:
- Towering Barricade – Creates a large barrier that protects from enemy fire
- Rally Barricade – Creates a shorter barrier which you peek over and which automatically reloads your equipped weapon when in cover
Everyone knows that Supers are the focus of why we choose a certain subclass, and the new Sentinel Titan does not disappoint. Not only does its super, the Sentinel Shield, turn you into Captain America by summoning a shield of Void Light, but it also lets you create a Ward of Dawn protective bubble for your fireteam. The Sentinel Shield can be thrown once (or twice, depending on your unlocked perks), used to melee enemies, and used to guard yourself from incoming fire.
The Striker Titan’s Fists of Havoc makes its return, albeit in a changed format. When you activate this Super and slam your fists onto the ground, you unleash a maelstrom of energy which causes damage and places your Guardian into an empowered state. You gain an electric shoulder charge and increased speed. This slam of the Fists of Havoc can be repeated two more times before the Super expires.
The Hammer of Sol super allows the Sunbreaker to throw flaming hammers great distances. They explode upon impact doing great damage to groups of enemies are increasing damage taken from your allies.
Perks are additional abilities that can be unlocked as you level your Guardian. Destiny 2 offers two distinct branches of perk trees for each subclass. For the Sentinel Titan, they are the Code of the Protector, and the Code of the Aggressor. You can tell just by their names what the overarching differences in perks are.
Code of the Protector:
- Turn the Tide – Overshield from Defensive Strike lasts longer and increases melee damage and reload speed
- Rallying Force – Melee kills restore health for you and nearby allies
- Defensive Strike – Killing an enemy with this melee ability creates an overshield around you and nearby allies
- Ward of Dawn – Alternate super ability which creates a shielding dome to protect you and your allies
Code of the Aggressor:
- Shield Bash – After sprinting, use this melee ability to unleash a Shield Bash
- Superior Arsenal – Grenade kills recharge your grenade energy
- In the Trenches – Kills while surrounded by enemies reduce your Super cooldown
- Second Shield – Gain an additional Shield Throw charge while Sentinel Shield is active
The Striker Titan has two perk trees, the Code of the Earthshaker and the Code of the Juggernaut are mostly offensive minded.
Code of the Earthshaker:
- Magnitude – Gain an additional grenade charge and increased grenade effect duration
- Aftershocks – Damaging enemies with Seismic Strike recharges your grenade
- Seismic Strike – While sprinting, activate this melee ability to shoulder-slam into your target and cause an Arc explosion
- Terminal Velocity – Fists of Havoc ground slam leaves a damage-dealing field and deals more damage the longer it’s in the air
Code of the Juggernaut:
- Frontal Assault – Strike an enemy with this melee ability to reload your weapon and increase weapon stability
- Reversal – Melee kills trigger immediate health regeneration
- Knockout – Critically wounding an enemy or breaking their shield increases your melee damage and range
- Trample – Killing enemies with Fists of Havoc extends its duration
The Subreaker Titan has two perk trees, Code of the Fire-Forged and Code of the Siegebreaker.
Code of the Fire-Forged:
- Tempered Metal – Solar ability kills grant you and nearby allies bonus movement and reload speed
- Explosive Pyre – Enemies killed by Hammer of Sol explode
- Vulcan’s Rage – Hammers shatter into explosive molten embers on impact
- Hammer Strike – While sprinting, use this melee ability to swing a blazing hammer that weakens enemies
Code of the Siegebreaker:
- Sol Invictus – Solar ability kills restore your health. Grenade and Melee ability kills leave a deadly Sunspot in their wake
- Mortar Blast – Strike an enemy with this melee ability to release a Solar explosion, setting nearby enemies on fire
- Endless Siege – Hammers create a Sunspot on impact. While standing in Sunspots, you throw Hammers faster
- Sun Warrior – While standing in a Sunspot, your Solar abilities recharge faster and your Super lasts longer
Overall, the Titan class continues to offer both offensive and defensive options. The Sentinel subclass offers many balanced abilities and perks that provide a well-rounded arsenal for any Guardian. The Striker subclass is an offensive power-house with many different options to defeat your opponent.
For further info on the other classes in Destiny 2, be sure to visit our Destiny 2 Guide Hub.