Material conversion is a useful system in Genshin Impact that allows players to convert slivers, fragments, chunks, and gemstones from one element into another. This cuts out the need to farm particular items if a player already has a stock of resources from other boss fights. They can simply convert them into the elemental type that they need for their next character ascension.
Material conversion can be done at any alchemy bench, and they can be found in Mondstadt City and Liyue Harbor. Players will need an item called Dust of Azoth to be able to convert materials.
Dust of Azoth can be obtained from the Paimon’s Bargains shop for Masterless Stardust, or can sometimes be earned from special events in the game. Masterless Stardust is earned by wishing on any banner.
To convert materials, follow the below steps:
- Visit an alchemy bench
- Select the “Convert” tab at the top of the screen
- Choose form the available recipes. These will be dictated by the resources you have, and how much Dust of Azoth you have in your inventory.
- Pay close attention to the bottom of the screen where you will see the base material that is going to be converted.
Depending on the rarity, the conversion will cost a different amount of Dust of Azoth.
- Making a Gemstone – 27 Dust of Azoth
- Making a Chunk – 9 Dust of Azoth
- Making a Fragment – 1 Dust of Azoth
- Making a Sliver – 1 Dust of Azoth
If you do not have the required amount of Dust of Azoth, the material conversion options will not be available.