Konami: It Was Sony's Decision To Remove PES 2019 From PS Plus July Free Games
A few days ago we reported about the weird and unexpected replacement of PES 2019 as a PlayStation Plus July 2019 free game. That was a huge surprise if you consider the lineup had been revealed just hours before that, and anything like this has never happened in the past.
However, when contacted by GameSpot, Konami shared that it had nothing to do with the move and that Sony decided to remove the sports game to have it replaced by Quantic Dream's Detroit: Become Human, a PS4 exclusive coming in a few months on PC, too.
Konami said that "this decision was made by Sony and so please make an inquiry to Sony," and the European PES brand manager Lennart Bobzien was also shocked, as he found out "in the morning" when the news broke "when I opened my laptop. I can't really explain."
Sony shared a statement about the topic, taking the blame for the decision but not further motivating it. "We have decided to make a change to the PS Plus games lineup this month, and will be offering Detroit: Become Human Digital Deluxe Edition instead of PES 2019," they said. "This was a decision we decided to make as a company, and we apologize for any inconvenience."
It's slightly weird, but perhaps it was a decision related to the fact that Detroit: Become Human is also releasing on PC in a matter of months and so they wanted to take advantage of its PlayStation 4 exclusive until it remains so.
Football PES 2020, the next iteration in the franchise, is coming on September 10, 2019.