Image Credit: Bethesda
Forgot password
Enter the email address you used when you joined and we'll send you instructions to reset your password.
If you used Apple or Google to create your account, this process will create a password for your existing account.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Reset password instructions sent. If you have an account with us, you will receive an email within a few minutes.
Something went wrong. Try again or contact support if the problem persists.
Image Via Wizards of the Coast

Baldur’s Gate 3 Players Aren’t Sure How To Feel About Dice

Never tell a Baldur's Gate 3 player the odds!

Baldur’s Gate 3 uses Dungeons & Dragons 5E rules, which means every conflict is resolved via dice rolls, and this has drawn a polarizing response from fans due to the statistical knowledge it gives the player beforehand. This means players will always know the odds of hitting or missing, so they’ll be aware when they hit a 10% chance or miss a 90% shot.

Recommended Videos

A lot of tabletop RPGs use dice as a means of determining whether a player’s action will succeed or not. Baldur’s Gate 3 takes the dice rolling to the next level, with skill checks (such as trying to persuade a guard to look the other way) being played out with actual dice rolling on the screen. The player can also add modifiers during this stage, like using the Guidance spell or spending Inspiration to get a reroll.

Related: Baldur’s Gate 2’s Slayer Form Makes Surprise Return In Baldur’s Gate 3

Fans Polarized by Dice Rolls In Baldur’s Gate 3

Image Via Larian Studios

Baldur’s Gate 3 fans have taken to the game’s official Reddit page to share their feelings about the dice roll system. Many players have compared Baldur’s Gate 3 to the XCOM series, showing your chances of failing or succeeding in an action. Indeed, both games are similar in the rage they induce when you miss a 95% hit chance at close range.

This stands in contrast to other RPGs, such as the ones in the Final Fantasy series, where the player is aware of their weapon’s stats but is never quite sure of the chances of a hit or miss. The polarizing response in Baldur’s Gate 3 is part of the fun, as it’s always thrilling for a long shot to hit and frustrating when a sure thing fizzles out.

Players have also been sharing their advice on improving their chances of hitting in combat, such as avoiding using ranged weapons in melee range or striking from the high ground. There are many ways to tilt the odds in your favor, so long as you’re playing strategically, but there are no guarantees for rolling dice. You can stack the deck as much as you want, but the number 1 on a d20 is always there.

Related: Baldur’s Gate 3: What’s The Level Cap?

In my opinion, the dice rolling in Baldur’s Gate 3 is integral to the experience. Baldur’s Gate 3 is meant to be a video game adaptation of D&D, and the fear of unlucky dice rolls at a critical game is part of the heart of tabletop RPGs. You might want to tear your hair out when you miss a 95% shot, but that emotional rush can make a fight with a random group of goblins so engaging.

Gamepur is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more about our Affiliate Policy
Image of Scott Baird
Scott Baird
Scott has been writing for Gamepur since 2023, having been a former contributor to websites like Cracked, Dorkly, Topless Robot, Screen Rant, The Gamer, and TopTenz. A graduate of Edge Hill University in the UK, Scott started as a film student before moving into journalism. Scott covers Dungeons & Dragons, Final Fantasy, Pokémon, and MTG. He can be contacted on LinkedIn.