When Grand Theft Auto V came out for PC, it presented a new first-person perspective for fans to enjoy. However, it has yet to have any official support when it comes to virtual reality. Fortunately, mods are here to save the day.
As noted by GTA Boom, user LukeRoss00 has managed to put together an updated mod that works to some extent with VR. In the past, he’s presented some features that kind of worked with different headsets on the market. With its latest update, however, players should be able to enjoy full functionality.
According to Luke’s notes, the mod “natively supports Oculus and SteamVR headsets,” with full-on HMD detection. And it’s not just with regular gameplay sequences that virtual reality is supported—cutscenes are as well.
Alas, there are some catches. First off, there’s no support for motion controllers, so players will continue to have to use a default controller. Also, there’s no snap turning, which is a movement feature used with some games to reduce motion sickness for certain players (according to USGamer). The mod also doesn’t appear to work with Grand Theft Auto Online.
LukeRoss00 posted a full FAQ that answers any questions players may have about the mod. The FAQ includes glitches within the game, certain features, and how others can contribute to the GTA modding scene.
The full list of features implemented with the latest update are below. The mod is available for download here for those that want to give it a try.
- Implemented a universal FOV fix (works during normal gameplay, in scripted animations, when aiming your weapon, AND in cutscenes!)
- Added a simple batch file for automatic configuration of the initial graphics options (with three presets, High-Medium-Low)
- No longer necessary to manually edit the settings file to put in your video card name
- Graphics options can now be changed dynamically while in-game (except for the base window resolution)
- Full support for all valid combinations of FXAA, MSAA, TXAA
- Added support for NaturalVision Remastered, VisualV, GTA 5 Redux, M.V.G.A. graphics overhaul mods
- Smoother camera rotation while on foot in 1st person
- The onscreen game window will no longer flicker (irrelevant for most normal users, but highly requested by streamers)
- Improved the camera reset logic upon recentering (no more tilted tennis courts!)
- Fixed even more corner cases for HUD and post processing effects during some missions
- Disabled heading control during skydiving (parachuting is now a LOT more fluid)
- Fixed an issue with helmets and camera FOV
- Improved camera management during forced 3rd person (e.g., Wasted/mission fail slow-mo animations)